Found a xj parts donor

Like the title says I found me a 89 xj with a 4.0. I got the alt., vacuum lines, some sensors and other nick-nacks off it today. It has some decent leather seats in it, doors, fenders, dash, front/ rear axles, and transfer case.. My question is will any of these parts swap? I know the fenders, doors,axles, and transfer case will (If I ever decide to go 4wd.) How about the dash, seats and other interior plastics? It also has a good center console for auto. I didn't study the MJ's enough to know if I can swap it too.

If you guys could tell me what other parts I might need to remove I'd be really thankful,,,,,,,,,,,,,,jt

The dashboard will swap. The console will work but may need a bit of trimming at the back end. The seats will work, but you have to take them off the XJ pedestals and mount them on the MJ pedestals.

Good I was hoping all this stuff would swap over. I mean it all looks the same!

Try to stump ya here..... I have a new brake M/C off my old CJ- 7 will it replace the mj's??

Note: I went by the dealership today to get the rear ccv plumbing and was pleasantly surprised to see that it is only 16 bucks for the rear line. The guy at the counter was saying some of the factory parts are alot cheaper than after market. Kinda good to know.

Thanks, Eagle ( the jeep yoda)

the console is direct swap, an overhead console needs altered to fit.

other than that, basically anything from the seats forward is the same if it's a 4 door

I did look up and the only thing I saw for a overhead console was a small little console over the rearview mirror. I though it was a receiver for a remote door lock.

The guy told me the xj was a donated from somewhere.. He didn't even try to start it. I may take a batt back there just to see if it will turn over. Then pull the 4.0 just in case kinda thing. IDK yet,,

I'm not trying to spend a whole lot on this truck,,, but its looking that way now.

I'm not trying to spend a whole lot on this truck,,, but its looking that way now.

:rotf: :razz: :laughin: :rotfl2:

Famous Last Words......Think I've hear that before--

J = Just

E = Empty

E = Every

P = Pocket

Just about every thing, from the "B" pillard forward are the some on the XJ and the MJ. Seat bracket are diffrent, and that's it. The drive train and front axel are the same, only diffrence is the rear drive shaft. If you can get the whole XJ, and a place to park it, your set for the 4 wd swap. But don't forget, going from a manual to an automatic has alot of changes, wireharness, pedals, shift cables, TV cable, TPS.....and so on. Very easy swap with the doner 5 feet away :brows:

:rotf: :razz: :laughin: :rotfl2:

Famous Last Words......Think I've hear that before--

J = Just

E = Empty

E = Every

P = Pocket

Just about every thing, from the "B" pillard forward are the some on the XJ and the MJ. Seat bracket are diffrent, and that's it. The drive train and front axel are the same, only diffrence is the rear drive shaft. If you can get the whole XJ, and a place to park it, your set for the 4 wd swap. But don't forget, going from a manual to an automatic has alot of changes, wireharness, pedals, shift cables, TV cable, TPS.....and so on. Very easy swap with the doner 5 feet away :brows:

nah no way I'm going to auto... 4wd..hummm maybe,,,, you said the TPS is diffrent on the auto?

Yes, it sets the idle RPM's are a little higher for the auto.

I say to go 4 wd you need the transfer case, and a 2wd trans will not bolt up to a NP231, but you have the auto/trans case set-up from the doner :brows:

One more thing I forgot to add about the XJ... It has AC and the MJ doesn't. Will all that swap also? I know I'll have to get the condenser, climate control unit, pump, lines, heater box, dryer, and all that stuff, but I wouldn't mind putting in a little work for AC, and since I'm going to replace the dash anyways why not swap it all.........??

J- Just

E- Empty

E- Every

P- Pocket

Sounds about right... :papers:

Yes, every thing from the XJ's AC will swap into the MJ, the dash and air box are the same, the air pump will fit in place of the idler pully. The condenser will fit in front of the raditor. All of the parts will work on the MJ.

I have not done an AC add on/swap, other's have, maybe they will chime in on tips. But I would think the whole heater/air box should be changed out, and that's like a boxed unit, behine the dash, and with every thing else you mentioned.

Well....your getting into solving couple problem, you found a XJ doner, So do it up, and do it right :D

Yes, every thing from the XJ's AC will swap into the MJ, the dash and air box are the same, the air pump will fit in place of the idler pully. The condenser will fit in front of the raditor. All of the parts will work on the MJ.

I have not done an AC add on/swap, other's have, maybe they will chime in on tips. But I would think the whole heater/air box should be changed out, and that's like a boxed unit, behine the dash, and with every thing else you mentioned.

Well....your getting into solving couple problem, you found a XJ doner, So do it up, and do it right :D

Well,,, I don't know if any of those parts on the xj are as good as mine.. When I started stripping it today it seems like this thing has been sitting for a long while now. Alot of the vacuum lines were real brittle, cracking, and ripping... The dash looks good, but it still is missing some things. The xj is sitting with only one wheel on the left rear so I really didn't get to crawl up under it.. I really got discouraged today when I got a real good up-close look at the whole thing. I'd hate to buy the xj (the guy said he'd take 300 for the whole thing) And find out the tranny is shot and the engine is locked up.... I guess I'll take the risk and get it.. Its going to need alot of work replacing lines, hoses, seals, ect.. to make it into my MJ... Even the alt I pulled off didn't work,,, but in light to that when I talked to the guy at Advanced It is the same alt as a GM You just have to swap the pulley's and front casing because it is C#*@ at a different angle. I'm going to set the two alt's up side by side and see if I can pull any tricks...