Custom Add-a-Leaf 3in(ish)

So today I took and made a bastard back AAL for my MJ. 

I took oil a set of 3in XJ lift springs and my set of stock MJ springs to make this happen. The XJ lift springs had the same arch as the MJ springs, so I think this could be done with 2 sets of MJ springs as well. 

1. Take 3rd leaf from top off XJ lift springs

2. Cut end off 1/4 of an inch inside (closer to the center) of the spring from the bracket that holds all of the springs together. (U-shaped braket near ends of spring)

3. Remove centering pin nut. (pin that goes in to hole in spring perch on axle)

4. Remove overload spring on MJ leaf pack. 

5. Put cut XJ spring and Overload spring on. Overload on the bottom, XJ spring on top of that. 

6. Put centering pin but back on (pin that goes in to hole in spring perch on axle). You should be able to reuse your stock one safely. 

7. Reattach spring plates and u-bolts. 

This is needs to be done with the truck up in the air. 

Also, I found this made the ride better and the truck feels way more stable. 

I already had 3in lift springs in the front to make it sit level. I wanted some rake, so I did this. 

It is kinda hard to see inmpucs, but...

Before:

CB862B1C-05C8-4FDA-B98E-F34206B53FDF.jpeg.ff6a5fc70e1583e3df5f03b9af4f0539.jpeg

After:

3D082C95-090B-47A2-9D47-ABC7014645FB.jpeg.02aaf3eba4fdf1f3be9742466efbfca3.jpeg895C895C-2778-4FC9-8FB2-0B71428805F8.jpeg.5d0723a1e2f071ce86caa56b98067943.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Wes brown said:

Great idea and I love your truck!  When you said take off 1/4” inside the end did you mean the side where it goes against the retainer brackets?  This would be a notch in the side of the spring? Thanks again! 

Thank you for the kind words. Yes. You are correct. 

• 5 months later...

6 month(ish) later review. 

I still like it, I've towed my garden tractor with it and hauled some heavier parts in the bed and had no squatting, which I had before even if I just sat on the tailgate. I wouldn't call them a substitute for Metric Ton leaf springs though, as I believe those have 2 overload springs, I only have the 1. This would be a low-buck alternative if you can't yet afford/don't want the stiffer ride of the Metric Ton springs, but want your towing/payload bumped up a little bit. I think the ride is a little bit softer than a 2017 JKU. I also seems to corner better now because of the stiffer springs-it stays flatter, almost like it has a rear sway bar, but it does not have a rear sway bar. That may be a future upgrade though.

• 4 months later...

Nice truck. Picking up a 1988 Comanche this afternoon for my son that he wants to lift very soon. I like the methods you employed. Did you use stock XJ leaf springs in your read lift modification or did you use lifted aftermarket leaf springs? I probably can find a set of stock XJ springs off a part out doner. 

8 minutes ago, Hammer Head said:

Nice truck. Picking up a 1988 Comanche this afternoon for my son that he wants to lift very soon. I like the methods you employed. Did you use stock XJ leaf springs in your read lift modification or did you use lifted aftermarket leaf springs? I probably can find a set of stock XJ springs off a part out doner. 

I used a set have of 3” XJ lift springs. Maybe they were 4”. 

• 1 month later...