hydrobooster on a mj?

Working on this ole Jeep mj, it's going to need a brake booster(read; NO BRAKES) I was wondering if I could plumb a hydro booster instead of the vacuum one.

Any thoughts on this, good, bad , ugly??

Anyone ever worked with hydro boosters before?

I was thinking getting one off a 94 Astro van with the matching M/C.

I believe the power steering pump will cover the flow. Maybe someone could chime in who has a milemarker hydro winch about their flow.

The brakes work only when the pedal is down to the floor. I can pump them and they work so-so but when crusin and needing to stop quick I'm better off cutting a hole in the floor and Flintstoning it!!

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions or comments! jt

If you can pump the brakes and get a better/higher pedal it sounds like you have to bleed your brakes.

If the booster is bad, the pedal will be very hard to push, pumping the pedal shouldn't make any difference.

You might have a couple of problems...

If you can pump the brakes and get a better/higher pedal it sounds like you have to bleed your brakes.

If the booster is bad, the pedal will be very hard to push, pumping the pedal shouldn't make any difference.

You might have a couple of problems...

Man don't tell me that!!!

That sounds very plausible though. If a master cylinder was pushing past the seals wouldn't it leak?

I'll check it out and bleed those boogers.. Keep it stupid simple for now.

They have no resistant when pushing them. they goto the floor and barely catches near the floor, can pump them up but still no height on the pedal. I checked the check value it was good, had good vacuum from manny. I read a thread here somewhere that I could do an air pressure check on the booster, and the boosters were crap. What all has to be done to do a pressure check on that thing?

I also read something about the rear prop value. whats the deal with that? better on or off?

Thanks,jt

This is the setup I'm gona be runing as soon as i get the money , best part is its a complete bolt on kit

http://www.vancopbs.com/product_p/6.htm

So your going for the xj kit? If I ever need parts can I ask for the xj's ones? I remember reading that the fronts are the same,, I don't know if it matters if my truck is 2wd or 4 though. The reason I was thinking Astro vans booster is they're pretty cheep. Might be a pain but not on the pockets..

i put one on my mj. dana 44's with 33 in tires. now it stops like my wheels are 8 in's round. i got rid of the rear brake crap and my proportioning valve. i have the same power steering pump. it came off a 2500 chev with a new :D chev master cylinder.

i put one on my mj. dana 44's with 33 in tires. now it stops like my wheels are 8 in's round. i got rid of the rear brake crap and my proportioning valve. i have the same power steering pump. it came off a 2500 chev with a new :D chev master cylinder.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard was it to fit in, and why'd you not use the front proportional valve?

there is a process. he modified the hb to work with my mj. made new lines. put a filter and cooler in the lines. seems to work with my power steering pump. sometimes they don't. so use a dodge one.

on the proportioning valve, the rear one didn't work, so with dana 44's front and rear, 410 gears, and 33 in tires, he said don't worry about it. i had to change some of the fitting, flare them, and bingo, bango its done. its a cheaper setup them the ones offered on the net. i would have to go through my receipts, but it cheaper. jamminz.gif