91 xj to a 87 mj build

ok so this is my first post, ive been lurking around on the site admiring other peoples projects.

now i have a project of my own...

i have a somewhat built 91 xj

and a completely stock, new to me, 87 mj.

i am going to take this:

and swap everything over to my 87 mj....

my plans are to strip the cherokee of everything. suspension, axles, and little things like door panels, dash, etc...

and for the motor I'm going to take the crappy renix out of it and rebuild/stroke my 91 4.0. going to be a 4.7 (the block with be bored .060 over, decked about .010 just to make it flat, buying a EPW engine kit with sealed power pistons, remaned 258 crank and rods, crane cam with about .500 lift, ford 24 lb injec., and all that crap... i just gotta figure out what kind of compression I'm gonna run etc...

i will be start the stripping of the cherokee tomorrow (suspension, axles etc...)

specs on the xj:

drivetrain: 4.0 HO, aw-4, 242

front suspension: Rock Krawler 3-link Long arm setup, tnt track bar and bracket 4.5" lift springs 1.5" spacer

front axle:

dana 30, 4.88's alloy shafts, ausssie locker, custom full heim steering (similar to rusty's)

rear suspension: 5.5" lift national springs (11 leafs in each pack) teraflex 1.5" lift shackles.

Rear axle: dana 44 4.88's detroit

35" MT/R's

my biggest concern, which isnt all that big, is the rear springs... the xj springs are too short and are goin to create too much lift for the mj. what are my options here? i was thinkin maybe cut and weld on new hangers and take some of the leafs out of the pack (worried about axle wrap though). sell what i got and buy comanche length springs with the approriate amount of lift. what should i do?

anyways... this is going to be my xj/comanche project and where better to post it and ask questions than in the comanche buildup forum?

-Shomsky

Sell the XJ springs. Best thing to do with them.

It's hard to say on height. When you go SOA a whole whack of things will affect the final height. Rear axle tube diameter, spring perche style (height), if you use 2wd or 4wd springs, etc will all affect it. I doubled the mains on my rear packs (gives them a good feel) and got about 7.5" of lift when I went SOA. That was with an exploder 8.8 and some slightly taller perches (about 1" off the tube). I think I was also running doubled over-loads.

I want to say you'd get about 7". I'd try it without the shackles first, and if you don't like the stance, add them. Or add a second main to the packs - it's a good mod because the stock springs are a little too soft.

ok cool, so since ill be using the rear axle from my xj it has the stock perches. I'm just gonna go ahead and do it and see where that puts me, cause thats the only way I'm gonna know and i can add/remove leaves if necessary.

thanks for the info.

pics of the progress will come soon

-Shomsky

ok cool, so since ill be using the rear axle from my xj it has the stock perches. I'm just gonna go ahead and do it and see where that puts me, cause thats the only way I'm gonna know and i can add/remove leaves if necessary.

thanks for the info.

pics of the progress will come soon

-Shomsky

Nope won't work the stock leaf spring perches on a XJ are at a different location. You are going to have to cut them off and move them out i think or was it in :nuts: Any way you just can't slide the axle out from your XJ and bolt it "right in" to the MJ.

O and welcome to the club and it sound like it is going to be a sweet truck. :cheers:

Nope won't work the stock leaf spring perches on a XJ are at a different location. You are going to have to cut them off and move them out i think or was it in :nuts: Any way you just can't slide the axle out from your XJ and bolt it "right in" to the MJ.

O and welcome to the club and it sound like it is going to be a sweet truck. :cheers:

o well not a big deal. I'm gonna build a truss for the rear axle anyways and incorporate some bumpstop mounts into it.

thanks for the help guys

on the rear, I would say to get an idea of stance, I would simply re-drill the hole for your spring packs towards the outside of the perches, and se the truck down on the axle. that will give you an idea right away.

the xj springs are shorter than the mj ones btw.

on the rear, I would say to get an idea of stance, I would simply re-drill the hole for your spring packs towards the outside of the perches, and se the truck down on the axle. that will give you an idea right away..

Wonder where you got that idea ;)

Sweet rig man...

I guess you could also change your rear spring mounting locations to re-use your XJ stuff, personally the MJ leaves flex better, and with a 2" drop shackle from a chevy (gives a 2" shackle lift) you should be able to dial in the front. IF it is to high in the rear.. try using a stock xj shackle... there are a million ways to make it work :brows:

i hate talkin about what I'm GONNA do. cause id rather spend the time just doing it but I'm waiting on my stepdad to give me the ok to occupy a cherokee sized space in the side yard/driveway.

anyways... i have the stock xj shackles but i also have the lift shackles so that gives me a couple inches to play with. I'm pretty set on re-doing the spring perches on my xj dana 44 and doin a SOA using the stock comanche leafs.

i was thinkin about making spring hangers and using the xj leafs but soa is just easier and the xj springs would give me way too much lift.

and i doubt that the mj leafs flex better (my xj springs are custom National 11 leafs per pack)

thanks for all the help

ill get some stuff done tomorrow and keep you updated

and i doubt that the mj leafs flex better (my xj springs are custom National 11 leafs per pack)

You'd be suprised... They're LONG, and it makes them work.

Image Not Found

That's not flexed right out... I can pull a couple more inches out of them.

Ohyeah... XJ spring perches are 43.5" centre-centre, MJ are 42".

these are my xj leafs at full flex (except i think my axle is on that rock, not sure)

but ive made the decision to use the stock MJ leafs and remount the perches and build a truss with bumpstop/limit chains...

right now I'm just waiting for a clear spot in the driveway...

this should start today or tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

ok so been a while since ive posted but ive been pretty busy with some other things like enlisting into the Marine Corps.

anyways... i got my cherokee's suspension completely stripped and i ground off the spring perches on my rear 44 but i got a couple of questions about the drivetrain...

i think i got a ba-10 tranny in the mj, i don't really know though.

its an 87 with the 4.0, 5 speed. dana 35 rear end. a 231 t-case and the disco front axle.

since i will be using my dana 30 from my cherokee (non-disco). what do i have to do? will the 242 t-case from the cherokee bolt to the tranny in the mj? or am i lookin at a tranny swap here? (aw4 with about 190,000 on it from the xj)

thanks in advance

-shomsky

Conrats on the Corp. Pick an MOS yet?... or rather tell them the one you want to try to get? Doing boot in PI or SD?

For an 87, its gonna be the peugot, unless it was swapped before you got it. Look at the pictures I put here: http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6656

And you should be able to ID yours from that.

my number 1 mos was combat vehicle repair, then combat support.

and I'm goin to sd on the 26th of november.

would it be easier to just swap the aw4 and 242 from my cherokee onto the renix 4.0 in the comanche?

but then I'm geussing that the driveshafts won't be the same length...

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

so ive only been able to work on my truck for a couple days but its almost done. i just need to finish up the front. like drilling for the upper control arm (Rock Krawler upper arm).

its lookin really good though. ill take some pics of it tomorrow. i kind of hoping that i won't need an sye kit... because i won't have enough time to get one before this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...