temp sensor/guage

Anyone know where a good place to put an electric temp guage sending unit on a 2.5 is without taking out the idiot light sending unit? :???:If I put it in the place of the warning lights sending unit won't it mess with the ECU?

I'm not familiar with the 2.5, but can't you just thread a "T" fitting in there, and run both from the same place?

well if it means anythng to you all I did was put in a mechanical temp gauge in. I plugged it right in where you have that bolt on the side of the thermostat. I know that really didn't answer your question but at least you have a different option and i can give you pictures if you need.

Anyone know where a good place to put an electric temp guage sending unit on a 2.5 is without taking out the idiot light sending unit? :???:If I put it in the place of the warning lights sending unit won't it mess with the ECU?

What year?

If it's a 90 or earlier, I believe it's set up just like the 4.0L in the same years, and the ECU gets data from a separate sender in the driver's side of the block. The sender in the head serves ONLY the gauge (or idiot light) and can be replaced with impunity.

You could always get a late model thermostat housing. That has a boss drilled and tapped for a sending unit.

Hey Mobius1, I would like to see those pics. Thats one option. And Eagle, it's an '86 and I don't recall any other sensor on the block even though there is an unused port that is plugged up, what I mean is sealed off on the drivers side.There are no other loose wires that would plug up to it. I would guess that I would put the guage sending unit in the thermostat or the block and leave the idiot light sending unit in the head,right? Does the sensor measure the temperature of the coolant or the temperature of the head itself?

Hey Mobius1, I would like to see those pics. Thats one option. And Eagle, it's an '86 and I don't recall any other sensor on the block even though there is an unused port that is plugged up, what I mean is sealed off on the drivers side.There are no other loose wires that would plug up to it. I would guess that I would put the guage sending unit in the thermostat or the block and leave the idiot light sending unit in the head,right? Does the sensor measure the temperature of the coolant or the temperature of the head itself?

the ecu temp gauge for a 4.0 is along the side of the block under the intake/exhaust... so check around the sides of your block for another one.