One ton axles or not?

TNT

I have a HP D60 from about a '87 F350 DRW with 4.10 gears in great shape on hold for me at a nice price. It's about 76" wide with the DRW hubs that are on it.

For the rear I can get a D70 or a 14 bolt thats either 72" wide or 67" wide. I can also get a C&C DRW 63" wide 14 bolt.

Choice #1

Swap the hubs to SRW ones it is about 69" wide, then shorten the long side 5" so it would be 64" wide. This would be a great match for the C&C DRW 14 bolt. With this combo I would run 8" rims with about 4" of backspacing. It would wind up about 75"-76" wide with the tires.

Choice #2

Narrow the long side 5" so the axle is 71" wide. Then use a 72" D70 or a 14 bolt rear axle. For this combo I would run Hummer wheels. Overall width would be about 75"-76" wide with tires also.

Choice #3

Buy the HP D60, resell it and use the money to help build my non-disconnect D30 and rear D44.

I don't really wheel hard enough to need the one ton axles anymore but they would be sweet.

I have a bad back so ride quaility is a big concern of mine. I'm trying to stay at about 6" of lift and am happy with 33x10.5's for street use for ride quaility.

I plan on reworking the front suspension either way.

What to do? This is my problem.....

I have a ton of othe work to do from boxsides, to swapping the 4.0HO AW-4/242 transfer case in, to a interior swap and parting out 2 XJ's.

If I sell the HP D60 I would make be a great deal for a member here.

I know the D30 and D44 should hold up to how I will use them for the most part. The ride will be the best this way.

But I know the bigger axles wouldn't break, but would also cause me to get on it more. I would probably have problem with the law about lift and tires with them also.

So whats your thoughts???

Here is my thing I am thinking about this as well. I was going to with 4 link rear and 60 front and rear. But $#!& then I would has a 200 axle with a 1000 worth of joints and steel to hold in to place. I think this would give you a great ride (I would think never really rode in a truck set up like this). But I am not willing to spend this kind of money on my $400 tuck.

I think if you are only going to run 33’s and this is a DD/trail rig I think money would be best spent on a super 30 kit and some thing along the same in the rear.

I would hesitate before adding all that weight to a rig with only 33s. Plus ground clearance would suck. I say build the 30 and 44. :D

My 33's will be my street tires and Q78X15's TSL's would be my trail tires.

If I run those axles I'll run 37"-39.5" tires.

I'm just concerned about tickets. The lift law here is 5" so I'm already over that and tires can be 4" in radius larger. That means about 35"-36" tires are max.

It would cost me as much if not more to build up a Super D30 and a Super D44. They would still be weaker and have little brakes.

I also have a good line on a HP D44 and a 9" combo.

I will probably just regear my current axles, truss them, raise the front control arm mounts 3" and swap larger brakes on front, and put a Truetrac with alloy axles up front. In the rear I'll use a Detroit locker or spool.

Then I'll just buy the HP D60 and resell it.

I wish I would have never wasted the money building my old d30 or puttin in an 8.8. I wish when I had the "extra" income I would have built my junk on 1 tons to start with.... now that money is tighter.. I don't have the extra to drop on all the goodies.. thats why my build is taking forever

I don't really the "extra income" I just got a great deal on the HP D60.

Here's the plan: Choice #1

Swap the hubs to SRW ones it is about 69" wide, then shorten the long side 5" so it would be 64" wide. This would be a great match for the C&C DRW 14 bolt. With this combo I would run 8" rims with about 4" of backspacing. It would wind up about 75"-76" wide with the tires.

This also means I will be putting my '94 XJ back into service as a daily driver. Hopefully it will only take until spring to get the MJ ready.

The one ton axles are both geared 4.10, the front will have to stay open and I will weld the rear. Regearing to 5.13 and lockers will have to wait.