Back fire???

I have a 1989 jeep Comanche 4.0 which I have rebuilt the engine. It now has a slightly higher compression ratio, TBA bored to 58mm, Cold Air, and a Competition Cam. I have replaced the fuel filter, done the later open coolant system, and now it runs but when you get up to any speed it backfires? Anyone have any suggestions?

20 hours ago, DJ'S MJ said:

Thanks everyone. I was using a Fire Power Distributor and I think that was the problem. I bought a stock distributor and new coil. I will install them after the holidays and hope that cures the backfire. Again, thanks for your replies.

Make sure you index it properly.

• 2 months later...

I have attempted to solve this backfire issue. Changed sensors, had a garage index the distributor, nothing has worked! I am done with this Renix system. I have a 0630 head, 1995 exhaust manifold, and 1999 inlet manifold. I am thinking about modifying the inlet manifold to accept the Sniper EFI 2 barrel, Sniper Management, and Distributor. My thinking is to strip our all the Renix and run with the Sniper EFI. What challenges will I have to face?

• 2 weeks later...