CAT?/ Cummmins?/ Mercedes?

I have been looking into motor swaps, there are a lot of reasons why, but within the last 2 to 3 months the idea is coming up more and more. Why? My current 4.0 has started leaking more fluids, and has gotten a knock at idle. I could do another 4.0, but i just got a new job, and my miles I drive daily just went up by 10 to 15.

Motor Ideas.

One of my friends just finished up doing a Mercedes OM617 in his CJ and he said if he were to do it again he would swap either the new Cummins R2.8 or the older 4BTA(the A part is just a higher compression ratio(more power)). I could afford an 4BTA but the new R2.8 at almost 9K is out of the question. So i went looking. I found a Caterpillar C2.4 (2.4L) that weighs in a just about 525lbs ready running ready. But as it currently sits as a N/A it is 50HP. I could do a compound turbo set up with 50psi and get her up to about 180HP. Don't get me wrong, that isn't a set of astronomical numbers, but it is comparable to my current motor. 

Costs.

The Cummins I found is $3,500 with a tranny, is a reman with 4,000 hours on it, but is in Florida. Whitch isn't that close to me.

The CAT i found is $2,400 without a tranny, and is a surplus, so its been in a wearhouse doing nothing. The motor is in Chicago, which is a lot closer to me. I have not found a tranny for this particular motor, or a mounting plate for the AX-15 that i currently have.

The reason I put in where the motor is, is for freight cost. 

Thanks for all the advise in advance.

Wallace

Look up my 3.3L Cummins build on here...
85hp/215tq. PLENTY! It eats my 4.0 jeeps alive!
I have an ax15, 3.55 gears. I can take off in 5th gear and do burnouts thru 4th gear. Everything in the motor and truck is stock. Didnt modify the frame other than to weld motor mounts in. Hood isnt cut, tranny tunnel isnt cut. It all fits in stock location. It's barely heavier than the 4.0 (the 3.9L is a lot heavier and bigger)
This motor is turbod but not intercooled. I have another 3.3 that is non turbo to put in something.

All in, for everything needed for the swap, I have around $6300-$6500
$2200‐motor
$1000‐ax15 and adapter plate
$1100-4.5" lift to clear oil pan
$1000‐gauges
$1200-exhaust, battery/cables, driveshafts, accessories

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I already have a 9 1/2" lift so that wouldn't be a problem. Where would I be able to find a 3.3 Cummins for a reasonable price? 
I have no idea really. I found mine on craigslist 6 years ago. A transmission tech at Cummins bought em at a Cummins auction. They were show motors. Had never been ran. They were on stands.

These are actually komatsu equipment motors. (Mini excavators, woodchippers, water pumps) So might use that in a search...

Krusty, I'm not in the market to do a diesel swap right now but love the idea when/if my 227k 4.0L dies. So even turbo'd your 3.3 is only putting out 85hp? I believe you with the torque it keeps up with 4.0's but still am amazed it doesn't even make 100hp. I understand it was built for industrial use and not transportation, but still......

Krusty, I'm not in the market to do a diesel swap right now but love the idea when/if my 227k 4.0L dies. So even turbo'd your 3.3 is only putting out 85hp? I believe you with the torque it keeps up with 4.0's but still am amazed it doesn't even make 100hp. I understand it was built for industrial use and not transportation, but still......
Yessir. Its still a beast (compared to my other jeeps) 343dd3dca882bc73ae1f3dad17eca7fd.jpg

Also look at the VW TDi.  Muuuuuch lighter than the CAT or Cummins options, designed for on-highway use, easily modified, huge global support, and readily available in many renditions all the way from full mechanical through commonrail.  Swap components are commercially available from at least two vendors for Jeep transmissions.  

Also look at the VW TDi.  Muuuuuch lighter than the CAT or Cummins options, designed for on-highway use, easily modified, huge global support, and readily available in many renditions all the way from full mechanical through commonrail.  Swap components are commercially available from at least two vendors for Jeep transmissions.  
Johnj on here has a TDI comanche. I had it in my possession for a few weeks and drove it. It was awesome. Itd be a great daily driver. Quieter and smoother than my Cummins but i love my Cummins. Lol.

2 hours ago, krustyballer16 said:

Johnj on here has a TDI comanche. I had it in my possession for a few weeks and drove it. It was awesome. Itd be a great daily driver. Quieter and smoother than my Cummins but i love my Cummins. Lol.

I bet you do!  I  nearly embarked on a 4bt swap into a Suburban with a G56 or NV behind it.  

I decided to go the TDi route myself, got an ALH from a 2000 Jetta and a trans adapter from tdconversions, just waiting for the right time to go for it.