Over heating

I drove an hour on the freeway at 60+ everything went great. I reached my destination but was early. I parked and let it idle to listen to the radio. I sat for about 15-20 mins and looked at my temp gauge. It had never gone over 210 but peaked while at idle. Is this normal? Is there a solution? An electric fan perhaps.

20190620_094347.jpg

Could be e-fan relay. Could be coolant temperature switch. 

To test the relay, have the key on/engine off ,unplug the fan relay, drivers side fender, using a wire, jump relay connectors - 30/87.   If can comes on, then move to the switch. 

Disconnect the switch at the harness. Jump the harness plug with the same wire. KO/EO. If fan works then switch is bad

Yes, you may see a temperature excursion if you park it and heat soak the engine.  Mine does this sometimes when driving off-road. 

Do you currently have an e-fan installed?  The e-fan should kick on when your temp reaches ~225, then turn off again at 210 after the situation is back under control. 

If you have an e-fan and want to test it's activation point, you can bring your truck up to temp then block the grill with a piece of cardboard.  The needle will start creeping up. If the needle creeps past ~225-230 without the fan kicking on, call off the test -- something is wrong.