pukegoat dead / ax15 231 swap Q

Cabz

Well the ole puke goat is taking the big dump :cry: 235,000+ miles I guess I can't complain .

the problem is I havent gotten around to getting a new 231 to go with the ax15 yet , I have a chance to get a 231 from a 98 XJ . my question is will it work? the newer 231's have no tail cone for the output shaft just the shaft and a rubber boot . has anyone run into this yet? did it work out for you ? or do I have to build another new rear dshaft?.

saweet, so the DS I have in the MJ will work on the 231's output shaft?

if so I am set ( minus a clutch kit )

also has anyone come up with a way to bleed the external slave setup for an ax15? I have the setup but it needs bled out and there is no bleeder on the slave cyl.

I used an ax15 and 231 t/case out of a 97 wrangler in converting my 2wd to a 4wd. I had to use the wrangler slip yoke with the transfer case. I don't think the older style yoke will work and you definately need the external rubber boot that goes over the yoke to keep it lubricated. You most likely will need to modify the driveshaft length. Good luck!

When I was upgrading my 93 tcase to 98 inners, the shafts are the same length, and the slip spline count was the same. A chevy van for that matter has the same spline for that matter. Driveshaft should work perfectly fine. However, I think an 88 tranny is going to have a 21 spline output, whereas the 98 tcase will have a 23 spline input.its also the same spline count on a 92yj. The output shaft on the tcase will always be the same, from my understanding.