Motor Starts, Runs for 5 Seconds, then Dies

I have a '90 model, 4X4 with a 4.0 and a 5 speed. I pulled it out of my brother's pasture, where it had sat for over 15 years. I drained the tank, and replaced the fuel pump. After that, it started right up but immediately dies. Any thoughts from folks that know more about these things.

first thing to check is the the ballast resistor.  little 3"-ish ceramic thing on the drivers side in the engine bay with 2 wires going to it.  make sure the wires are connected properly.  :L:  the computer bypasses it at startup and then puts power to the fuel pump through it after a few seconds (to lessen the voltage and lower the noise from the pump).

thank you. I saw that. didn't know what it was. the problem is there are three wires going to the area the same color. all three were chewed up (rats had a nest right there) do you know how to tell which two are the right ones for the resistor?

I guess there are only 3 options. I will swap them tomorrow, hopefully it will fix them.

1 hour ago, Phillip Gwin said:

I guess there are only 3 options. I will swap them tomorrow, hopefully it will fix them.

Don't do that. The ballast resistor only has two wires. If you can't identify which two connect to it, you may fry something else. Do your homework, don't just play three blind mice.

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

Don't do that. The ballast resistor only has two wires. If you can't identify which two connect to it, you may fry something else. Do your homework, don't just play three blind mice.

Pun intended? Funny either way.

Ballast Resistor.JPG

I did a little research, two of the wires come from the same tie point. It doesn't matter which of two of them go to the resistor, the other one was the only one that mattered as to where it went, and without the power, it couldn't hurt anything.

Thar said, it runs. It stays running now.

I thought that was an emission component, so wasn't as concerned about it.

If you notice the picture, the orange with a black trace wire to the left of it, that is the other wire.

Why would they have the same color wire? 

I would be nice if they at least put a different gauge wire.