XJ >> MJ fuel sending unit modification?

I let my MJ sit for a few weeks and my noise fuel pump has decided to stop making noise.  Unfortunately, I am also only around my MJ for two or three days a month, otherwise I'm in a different state and cannot troubleshoot / repair things cheaply.  This weekend I have the prompt sound when turning the ignition to run, nothing after that.  Pressure at the rail doesn't really move the needle (maybe 5 lbs pressure) and there is gas at the Schrader valve, but not a mist... it's more of a fountain coming out.  The battery pushing everything is charged and ready to go as well.  Eventually the motor will "catch" and stumble a few times, only to die ~1-2s later.

Hopefully it's just the hose in the tank leaking and not building pressure, but I'm trying to prepare for worst case scenario in that I have to mess with the sending unit.

With all that background, here's my question:  Is there a write-up / guide on how to take a new XJ sending unit and make it actually fit properly in a comanche.  Barring that, are there pictures and dimensions on what the actual MJ fuel pump should look like?  Just in case it makes a difference... this is on an '89 with a '92 HO swap (motor, computer, fuse block, etc...).  

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a fuel tank without the pan in it from autozone along with an xj sending unit from my year. Fit in the tank perfectly and I’ve put 16.5 gallons in it. It is a little shorter than the mj sending unit but 16.5 gallons out of 18.5 is close enough to empty for me. Gas gauge works perfect too! $150 shipped to my door.

22 hours ago, TexanEliminator said:

I just ordered a fuel tank without the pan in it from autozone along with an xj sending unit from my year. Fit in the tank perfectly and I’ve put 16.5 gallons in it. It is a little shorter than the mj sending unit but 16.5 gallons out of 18.5 is close enough to empty for me. Gas gauge works perfect too! $150 shipped to my door.

Hold on...you're using a XJ sender with a MJ tank? 

52 minutes ago, benjy_26 said:

Hold on...you're using a XJ sender with a MJ tank? 

Yep. Has to be a tank without the pan in the bottom for the sending unit to fit correctly as the pickup is pointed toward the front vs toward the rear on a Comanche sending unit. JP5B on autozone.com. 

2 hours ago, TexanEliminator said:

Yep. Has to be a tank without the pan in the bottom for the sending unit to fit correctly as the pickup is pointed toward the front vs toward the rear on a Comanche sending unit. JP5B on autozone.com. 

Interesting...

I wonder if the same applies to Renix trucks.