Auto 4x2 to manual 4x2

So I've decided that I want my Jeep to be a stickshift. I miss shifting gears. It's currently a 4x2 auto and I want to swap to a manual 4x2 (4x4 AX-15's are HARD to come by here, and I really don't need 4x4.)

What all would I need? Just tranny, clutch, flywheel, slave/master, and the pedal assembly? I have my old stickshift MJ with the blown PukeGoat in it at my mom's house and I could grab the pedal assembly from it. Plus it had a brand new heavy duty LUK clutch/flywheel in it which I could grab to save money. There's plenty of 4x2 AX-15's within driving distance from me for around 300$. I just want to see what all would be involved. Would I have to change the transmission mount or the driveshaft?

I have done this twice now. My advice is an external slave bellhousing from a 94 and up XJ. Crossmember will work. can't remember if you need a different trans mount. The bracket from the mount to the trans is different if I re.wmber correctly. Get a 1994- 1998 Clutch pedal. Your firewall should have indents for the clutch bolt holes and the master cylinder. Use a prebled master and slave cylinder. You will thank me they are a pain to bleed. Luk clutch/flywheel and an AX15 from an XJ or TJ as you don't care about transfer case clocking. I think you will need a different length driveshaft. You will need a trans tunnel cover plate from a manual. Inner and outer shifter boot. I think you have to jump a pin or two on the auto harness to bypass the neutral lock on the auto. Think that is about. Probably forgot something. Hopefully others who have done this will chime in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 97 up assemblies are completely different..........somewhere I have a thread and pics on this. 

Assembly from 86-95.........96? IDK with changes. 

Ask around here, those are getting real hard to find now.

Just did a little more research you should be good from 1986 to 1996. Pretty much the same pedal, clutch cylinder pretty much the same. In the 1997 and on Jeeps the clutch cylinder support bracket was removed and the clutch master mounting holes moved. The rod coupling also changed. I would use the 1994 - 1996 sealed clutch master/slave cylinder kit. Prebled. Buy metal not plastic if you can. Attached the part manual pages for your reference. Also a pic below of the assembly I am putting in my MJ.

1986 1990 Clutch pedal.pdf 1997 1999 Clutch pedal.pdf 1994 1996 Clutch pedal.pdf 1991 1993 Clutch pedal.pdf

Awesome. So from my parts Jeep I already have with a manual in it I need to grab:

Pedal assembly.

Trans tunnel cover

CPS?

ECU

Then I need to buy:

Transmission from 94+ XJ

Flywheel/clutch

Pre-bled slave/master cylinder

Then I POSSIBLY need to get my driveshaft adjusted? Is the spline count different between 89 Auto's and 94 manuals?

And yes, I will be getting a Hurst short throw shifter as soon as I install this thing :brows:

Do not use an HO flywheel use a Renix Flywheel. The CPS triggering is different. So pre 91 flywheel and post 94 clutch and post 94 external slave bellhousing. I used the Core Shifter found on Ebay. Great upgrade for the AX15. The later year AX15 the better there were some decent upgrades made to later year units. Make sure it is a 2WD trans with the tail housing. The 4WD didn't have the tail housing as the Transfer case bolted up directly to the back of the trans. It looks like bothe the AW4 and AX15 rear driveshafts are 53.125" so you may be good with reusing your driveshaft.Don't forget to get the right pilot bearing. 1992 - 1999 AX15 have a 3/4" pilot tip, prior to that was 19/32. Go to Novak conversions they sell the correct pilot bushings for every combination of year.

Great! Probably will end up being in this about 800$. Not too bad for all the parts. The average cost for a 2wd AX-15 seems to be 200-500$ around here. Now just to save up, get permission from the wife, and find one that I feel I won't have to rebuild once I buy it used...