2wd to 4wd

This isn’t a how to, or another will this year XJ work with my setup. The question I was asked by Mama was how much do I think it would cost to swap my 2wd to a 4wd ? I’m not one of those guys that asks ‘So how much did you pay for your house?’ I really wanted to give her a legit answer.  I’m not talking about half @$$’n” something. I’m talking about locating the correct parts and having them checked out and rebuilt/ refurbished. So ballpark figure guys/ gals what number am I looking at?  87 2.5 4spd bone stock. Thanks for any input. 

Near $1500, assuming you can find a donor for $500 or so. 

New uppers and lowers, TB, shocks, brakes, soft lines, bearings, etc............maybe new springs............Ujoints, rear DS........and so on.

I won't bolt on garbage, if it comes apart- it goes back on right. 

Are you going to be changing your springs?  4WD springs are different, but not absolutely necessary. 

Assuming you keep your 2WD springs and get a $500 XJ for parts, I think you could do it for around $900 total.  You'd want to replace the rubber bits in your front suspension, and will want to get new rotors and brake pads at a minimum.  Plus fluids, alignment, etc. all add up. 

If you start getting into new springs, shocks, control arms, etc. you're pushing $1500.

Just read your original post again and see you mention having the transmission rebuilt so add a bunch for that too.