Trouble aligning new distributor

The directions in the manual i have don't provide enough detail for me to be able to get my distributor installed correctly. I understand that I have to align the #1 cylinder at TDC, maybe adjust the oilpump gear, but it doesn't mention which direction the rotor should point. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance

I just did this on my 4.0... the engine has to be at TDC on the compression stroke line the harmonic balancer mark up on the dampner 0*. You point the rotor at the #1 spark plug terminal but not directly at it! You set it so the trailing edge is just coming off it. If you point the rotor directly at it you will be 1 tooth off and it won't run for crap. the oil pump slot should be at about the 11 o'clock position you might have to play with it a little.

When you stick the dist in it will rotate clockwise cause of the gear. when its fully seated the trailing edge of the rotor should just be leaving #1 cap terminal.

I just did this on my 4.0... the engine has to be at TDC on the compression stroke line the harmonic balancer mark up on the dampner 0*. You point the rotor at the #1 spark plug terminal but not directly at it! You set it so the trailing edge is just coming off it. If you point the rotor directly at it you will be 1 tooth off and it won't run for crap. the oil pump slot should be at about the 11 o'clock position you might have to play with it a little.

When you stick the dist in it will rotate clockwise cause of the gear. when its fully seated the trailing edge of the rotor should just be leaving #1 cap terminal.

yeahthat.gif :agree:

correct me if I'm wrong..

kinda like timing magentos