Dearch or bastard pack?

So I'm getting closer to lowering the red truck.  Currently I'm working out the rear springs and I've concluded I've got two options and I'm struggling to decide the path I want to go so I'd like your guys opinions.  I'm trying to keep unnecessary cost down as much as possible.

Option 1: buy XJ leaves and build a pack.  Problem I'm having is the cheapest used springs I can find are $100 a pair.  Cheapest new springs I can find are $160 a pair with most closer to $250 a pair.  This will also make it easier to adjust the ride as I can just swap individual leaves around.

Option 2: dearch the MJ springs.  I called the only spring shop I could find that does this and they quoted an hour or two at $128/hr.  This got me thinking I could just buy a press from HF and do it myself.  The nice thing about this route is the only cost will be the shop press and I'll have it for future work afterwards.  It seems pretty straightforward but I'm worried about screwing up the MJ springs as I've never dearched a spring before.  I'm also worried that dearching will make the spring longer and cause me issues since I was also planning on using shorter XJ shackles.

I'm leaning towards dearching myself because it's cheap and I'd get a press out of it.  But I like the idea of easy adjustment later on with having extra leaves to play with.  What are your thoughts?

I like the idea of custom packs from junkyard leafs.  but there are other flat-leaf springs out there.  no need to limit yourself to XJs. :L: 

car-part.com shows some XJ packs in Rowley for 35

56 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I like the idea of custom packs from junkyard leafs.  but there are other flat-leaf springs out there.  no need to limit yourself to XJs. :L: 

car-part.com shows some XJ packs in Rowley for 35

Pete to the rescue!   I live three hours from there but will be an hour away from there this weekend.  I called and they are going to have them pulled and ready for me to pick up Saturday! :banana:

Good call on the bastard packs. Dearching is a crap shoot -- no matter what a shop tells you, you'll end up with either too much drop, or not enough. The do-it-yourself route allows you to mix and match to get where you want to be.

Which brings up the question of where you want to be. I'm going to recommend that you do the front first, and I'm also going to suggest that you crawl underneath and examine very carefully the relationship between the oil pan and the front axle. One of my friends  in NAXJA NAC, from Pennsylvania, lowered either an XJ or an MJ many years ago, and I distinctly remember his telling me that he was limited in how low he could take it by the problem of the oil pan hitting the front axle.

Don't forget to allow for suspension movement. The closer you get the oil pan to the axle, the less suspension compression you can allow. You'll have to pay careful attention to bump stops.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Good call on the bastard packs. Dearching is a crap shoot -- no matter what a shop tells you, you'll end up with either too much drop, or not enough. The do-it-yourself route allows you to mix and match to get where you want to be.

Which brings up the question of where you want to be. I'm going to recommend that you do the front first, and I'm also going to suggest that you crawl underneath and examine very carefully the relationship between the oil pan and the front axle. One of my friends  in NAXJA NAC, from Pennsylvania, lowered either an XJ or an MJ many years ago, and I distinctly remember his telling me that he was limited in how low he could take it by the problem of the oil pan hitting the front axle.

Don't forget to allow for suspension movement. The closer you get the oil pan to the axle, the less suspension compression you can allow. You'll have to pay careful attention to bump stops.

Yes this is the plan basically.  I'm collecting the parts for now and plan on switching tires first to see where that gets me.  Then moving onto suspension.  

I've got a few sets of stock coil springs to play with and a set of 3.5" lift coils in the mail from MJXJeepguy that will give me a stiffer ride after I know where I want to be.  Bump stops need replaced as it is so those will surely be set to accommodate the drop. There is a video on YouTube of a guy reviewing a lowered MJ, which gave me some good info on front suspension issues he ran into when lowering and how he got around them.  The lowered XJ threads have helped answer questions as well.

I really would rather not use blocks on the rear so I will be limited on how low I can really go.  I want to be just low enough not to worry about rolling it on dry pavement.  I'm shooting for 2"-3" drop in suspension for now.

12 hours ago, Eagle said:

Go for not more than 2 inches, and add a rear sway bar such as Hornbrod had on his. Find a front sway bar for a ZJ V8.

I'm guessing 2" is the point where major modifications need to start?  I will definitely be doing something for a rear sway bar.  I remember seeing HOrnbrod's setup at one time, I'll have to go back and check it out again.  

• 2 weeks later...

As luck would have it, a guy messaged me with stock XJ leaves he just pulled and was only 20 minutes from my house.  I picked them up for $30 and they are in much better shape than the ones I drove 3 hours one way and spent $70 on.  :doh:

Oh well, more to play with!

IMG_20190420_094552.jpg