1988 flex plate question

Hey all, my 1988 MJ is starting to make the infamous flex plate knock only major issue is that the PO swapped an AW4 out of a 1993 XJ, so this leads to my question what flex plate would I require? one for an 88 renix CPS? Or is it possible that the PO swapped the CPS from the 93 and just swapped the whole assembly?

6 minutes ago, 88mancheman said:

Hey all, my 1988 MJ is starting to make the infamous flex plate knock emoji30.png only major issue is that the PO swapped an AW4 out of a 1993 XJ, so this leads to my question what flex plate would I require? one for an 88 renix CPS? Or is it possible that the PO swapped the CPS from the 93 and just swapped the whole assembly?

Not possible. The CPS is not past of the flex plate, and there is no flex plate "assembly." A '93 flex plate would not work with a Renix ignition/injection system. The two systems operate on different principles and are not compatible.

Thank you for the fast reply Eagle! I’ll give the stealership tomorrow and order a flex plate for an 88 AW4 that should work right? And I should have been more clear when I wrote assembly I meant the whole trans assembly(I was thinking they pulled one from JY and literally just bolted this thing in with All the 93 parts but some part of me wanted to doubt that)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that should solve your problem if you still retain the factory renix system, The transmission shouldnt matter as eagle said you have to match the correct flex plate to the correct injection system.  

Awesome thank you for straightening that all out for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure it's not just the bolts coming loose? Super common. 

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/checking-cracked-flexplate-172081/

I wish it was the bolts again sad.png I tightened them 3 times already and they still came loose after a few miles & I think last time I checked I could see the flex plate wobbling aswell so I think it’s time to pull the trans and figure out what’s going on

Better off rockauto and get a new one and get the red locktight and dab on those bolts, torque to spec. Note flex plates arent balanced. So you could get the existing flexplate neutral/ static balance( i forget the term used a machine shop would know).

Its what the mercedes guys do to flywheels and flexplates that are replaced. Because they are balance matched with the engine from the factory.