1988 Comanche 2WD 4.0L 5speed

Found a 2001 4 door XJ with doors in good condition, so I'm gonna snag those for $100/pop.  Little bit of surface rust along the bottom, but mirrors and everything look to be in good condition.  Not sure what else I'm going to snag off of it but it was a 4.0L Auto 4WD.  

Clear corners and new turn signals installed.  Painting the trim rings and grill this weekend.  New bumper should be here today.  Got new stainless hardware to install it.  I have plans to modify it a little, but I'm not sure how I want to cut it yet.  

Got one of my fenders trimmed up this am.  

IMG_1022.JPG.5469da5ffc7dd9a84174f977f3a976cf.JPG

Little by little.

Trimmed the bumper up (still have to clean it up with the grinder and put some paint on it. 

Got some of the spray paint work done.  It is satin oxford blue with duplicolor bronze on the trim pieces.

I still have to do the detail work on the grill and I messed up the P so it is drying again.

IMG_1058.png.03f9b9cc8ad0f326749ce4b5d52fd98f.png 

• 2 months later...

Got some new tires last week.  30x9.5R15 General Grabber A/Tx.  Asked them to put them on with white letters in and they messed up so here is a pic one way and I will get another when they are flipped.

Not a whole lot else has been done.  I'm working on getting my blower fixed for the A/C and heat.  

Still have tons of other little things to do, but I'm about to take it on a 140mile trip home to get some furniture, so hopefully things go well.  

IMG_1363.JPG.e06090b5c561f4304cdbdf381c671a51.JPG

Did the wiper motor bushing replacement yesterday.  40min and $4 to fix an annoying issue.  Got the tires flipped.  Picture to come.
Got my HVAC fan working again.  (fuse issue).  Ordered some glow fuses to make it an easy diagnosis next time.  My fuse box needs to be replaced, but I'm considering a slight upgrade when I go to fix that.  Will adding the extra ground on the that circuit help the load at the fuse?

Drove it for while on Wednesday and I'm pretty sure my transmission has a leak.  Gotta clean it off to see if I can locate the issue, but regardless it has pushed me toward planning for an AX15 and NP242.  I found a local AX15 from a 99 wrangler, but I'm not sure if it will fit with the NP242.  

Either way I got these to hopefully get the fill plug out of the transmission.  $6 for 8mm and 10mm on amazon.

1238016148_ScreenShot2019-10-11at9_45_40AM.png.107192d5be3922ec4ff2d99cbd0af36f.png

Oil change (something ending in 50w?) and transmission fill are on the docket for the weekend.  

This is just a rambling list of stuff I got done before my trip.  Leaving this afternoon.

Oil changed today with Shell Rotella T6 15w40.  I'm seeing slightly better oil pressure and it was pretty cheap on sale at Advance Auto.  If my motor didn't leak so bad I may have gone with something a little thinner for startup, but this will work for now.

Added the ground for the blower fan and instrument panel.  Cleaned the ground on the drivers side and the one near the dipstick.  Still idles a little rough cold, but just ordered some 4 hole injectors for $35.  Hopefully that will help.

Blower motor has a bad spot in the motor, so long screwdriver will be in glove compartment to move it a little if it decides to stop again.

Checked the front end alignment and it seems close, so I'm going to roll with it.

Lowered tire pressure to 35psi.
Finished painting the grill, lots of tapework that I never want to do again.

Painted the cowl wiper trim and the wiper arms.

$6 cupholder installed.  Will probably rework this at a later time.  I'm considering mounting this to the shifter bezel or velcroing it to the floor.  Not sure yet.

Got my cherokee gauges with tach installed.  Had to clean a bunch of contacts and swap in my other temp gauge (It doesn't match.  If anyone has an extra I would gladly pay).  Also got all my instrument lights working by mixing and matching and cleaning terminals.  

My clock works.  Just needed a fuse.

Got all my front lights working.  Used 194 Led Ambers in corners and 1157 amber in the turn signals.  

IMG_1447.png.dca0ffcc5451c05d2e3f0c91c49ac950.pngIMG_1442.JPG.b4cef580de807ac53279d6e230534d61.JPGIMG_1448.JPG.975d56c8d589ec9f32d809e59aedf4a2.JPG

I'm slowly replacing the rusted up screws I've come in contact with to stainless.  They stick out a little, but a little stainless bling is worth it.IMG_1450.JPG.f109e250cdbd38e60851eb95510bc3f5.JPGIMG_1451.JPG.78771ed1039afc0fa5bc1f8d8919d02a.JPGIMG_1452.JPG.05e053aea3a191f2b55201274a8ba5c3.JPG

Forgot.  I bent the drivers door with a 2x4 as much as I could.  I'm trying to find some 97+ door seals which should hopefully fix my skylight issue.  

Drive went as well as could be expected.  

Wind noise at 70-75 is really bad without the window seals.

I'm leaking oil from what looks like the transmission, but it may just be running along the bottom from the rear main seal and back.

Thankful that I fixed the wiper bushings since it rained on the second day.  It also let me find the two places my truck is definitely leaking at.  Rear window leaks on the passengers side and windshield leaks on the drivers side.

Heat and A/C worked great other than the dead spot on the motor.  So a new motor is definitely in the future.

Lights are good but I still need to do the relay upgrade.

I'm guessing my dome lights would work if I had fixture/bulbs.

I quickly checked my alignment before leaving and it was close, but I think the front suspension still needs some attention.  There is a decent dead spot then the truck wants to dart one way or another.  

Either way my son and I had a good time and his in flight entertainment setup worked quite well.

IMG_1482.JPG.d15bcb4f43ff9ff74ce00cb109c303f8.JPG

• 11 months later...

Well almost a year since the last post.  Been busy trying to finish out my basement and built a deck, so the Jeep has been on the back burner.

I failed inspection early in the year and have not gotten around to the fixes until now.  I have 4 things that I need to fix.  

1.  Horn (should be easy just need to check the wires)

2. Rebuild rear brakes

3. Fix parking brake

4. Patch hole in the floor next to throttle pedal.

Got the parking brake assembly out of the truck yesterday and here is what I got.  It seems to be functional, but is bent/cracked.  I guess the plan is to clean it up, get new springs and fix the cracks (either bend it back and JBweld it, or get a steel plate and reinforce the back).

IMG_4096.JPG

62389825825__BC5EA0E7-8DF9-4EC8-BFC0-F9B4ACC4BB2D.JPG

• 3 weeks later...