Tires

they are roughly the same size.  :L:  tires that are sold with an inch designation are notorious for being a bit smaller than the number states (aka 30"ers are likely 29.5 on a good day) and the metric tires calculate out to being about 29x9.3". 

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

they are roughly the same size.  :L:  tires that are sold with an inch designation are notorious for being a bit smaller than the number states (aka 30"ers are likely 29.5 on a good day) and the metric tires calculate out to being about 29x9.3". 

Thanks Pete.

youngfred

Years ago I looked up tire data from manufacturers' literature (back when they still gave out printed literature), and tried to come up with a chart of comparative tire sizes. I didn't note which manufacturer I used for each (they weren't all the same), but what I have shows a 30x9.50-15 as being 29.3" diameter and 9.6" in width -- at the widest point of the sidewall. Tread width is less.

The 235/75-15 on my list shows 28.8" diameter and 9.2" width -- again, at the widest point of the sidewall, not the tread.

I ran 30s on my XJ for a long time, and I'm running 235s on my late wife's 2000 XJ now. The tread width of the 235s is noticeably narrower than the 30s. That's actually better for street driving, especially in winter, but not so great for off-road. Which is better for you will depend on your intended use. IMHO, if you really wanted 30s, go to a tire shop that knows something, because 235/75-15s are NOT as large as 30x9.50-15s. They're "close," but not the same.