Rear bump stops with SOA

Hey all, 

I'm new here, my name's Drew and I've got a 91' longbed. I recently swapped in a ford 8.8 and I decided to go SOA when I did it. I've been slowly dialing it in and I know I'm going to need longer bump stops now that my shocks are mounted higher up on the axle tube (I'm thinking I'm going to have to run a slightly shorter shock too if I keep the stock upper mount) and I'm netting about 5.5" of lift with 33s. I know on Cherokee's the rear bumps are offset from the spring plate, so I have two questions: Am I going to have a problem with the stock bump stop location hitting the top of the leaf center pin and what's the best way to extend the bump stops appropriately? I'm thinking of just fabbing up a piece to go between the frame and bump stop, but I haven't seen anything on the forums about it. 

Thanks

Bump stops are located on the frame rail to provide the best support as they are the last thing keeping the suspension from crashing through the floor when the truck bottoms out. 

XJ bump stops seem offset from the spring plate because the leaf springs are mounted on the outside of the frame whereas the MJ leafs are mounted to the underside of the frame.  

The stock bump stop location on your MJ should be just fine.  Unless you flex it out very frequently and rather violently, your bump stops and center pin will be fine. 

Thanks Dzimm, I’m glad I don’t need to offset them from the frame rail to save my center pins! My main concern is that my shocks are bottoming out right now so I either need to run stiffer springs, shorter shocks, change my shock angle, or lengthen my bump stops correct?

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

if you need longer bumpstops, you could simply weld a plate to the axle for use as an extension. :L: 

(I put the bumpstop on the bottom because it was easier than dealing with the snapped bolts)

329478511.jpg

Somehow I was able to get all 4 bolts out last night without breaking any. I like that idea though, definitely a little easier to work with the flat spring plate than the curved frame rail, thanks!