steering column questions

Is there any way to convert a tilt, non column shift auto, to column shift?

OR is there any way to convert an auto column shift to tilt?

I have two columns one is a tilt with no shifter and one is non tilt with a shifter. My truck is auto on the column. I just want to know if I can use the two to make one or if I should just wait till I find an auto column with tilt.

ANOTHER QUESTION

What gm vehicles do these columns fit in if any?????

Thanks,

Ron

absolutely not.

parts won't interchange.

convert your truck to floorshift...then put the tilt column in...

or wait for a column shift tilt... I wouldn't use one from a different vehicle, but that's just me. you can find one easy enough out of an xj

Jeepco

How difficult is it to change from column shift to floor shift? What parts would I need? Obviously I have a tilt column already. So.... I know I'll need the floor shifter assembly.....anything else????

Thanks,

Ron

Just get a floor shifter assembly from a Cherokee.

Jeepco

How difficult is it to change from column shift to floor shift? What parts would I need? Obviously I have a tilt column already. So.... I know I'll need the floor shifter assembly.....anything else????

Thanks,

Ron

floor shifter assembly, and the shifter cable that runs down to the tranny (through the firewall to front left of tranny bellhousing...it's on a bracket that's held on by 2 bolts). the shifter assembly will be the actuall shifter itself, and then there is a "plate" that goes underneath it that you would need.

then it's supposed to have a cable that goes to the column that makes it so that the key won't come out if you turn it off while it's in gear...I would just do away with that (your column will have the little connector for that on the top lefthand side IF it's from an automatic) by using a zip-tie to hold that little connector up. I will take a pic of that this week for you on the new column I have going into the 3800.

you'd need the gauges from a non-column shift as well (unless you don't care about the shift indicator being there) ...but only if the shift indicator wasn't part of the column itself. then you simply take out your column and shift cable, swap in the new one, and swap in these parts. nother thing you'd probably want would be the light harness for the floor shifter...it has a connector right next to it and that's easy.

scale of 1-10, you're at about a 3.

remember to remove the column with your wheels straight, and install the new column as straight as possible to minimize the amount of adjusting you'll have to do.

Drop in a stick

I have a ba10 5 speed in my 89. I don't like the ba10. I also want the ease of not shifting while wheeling, or to keep it in lower gears. so my decision becomes an aw4 with brettm's shifter kit. I'm opting to install an auto over a manual

Are Ba10/5s really that bad of tranny? I had one in my 88 XJ that had 207k on it when I junked it, and the only problem the transmission ever gave me was it liked to pop out of 1st once in a while if you didn't hold the shifter forward.

I didn't do too much 4 wheeling with it, but it would still smoke them pretty good and I towed a Supra several times and it was fine.

(a big ford guy told me a 4.0 would die if you tried to pull more than 4000lbs with it....lol. I pulled the 3700 lb Supra with driver and my truck didn't even know it was there.)

I picked up a column shift from the local pullapart yard and scored a deal ($20 !) but my son got carried away and broke the cable. I don't want a floor shift (I don't have enough room in the cab as it is!) and even plan to move the high/low shifter to under the dash on a cable like my '73 J4000.

The NAPA part # for the cable is no good now.