'86 Comanche 4.0l

mica

After listing my Comanche up for sale, I got a lot of inquirers, but no one followed through to purchase the rig.

I have decided to start working on the rig and bring it back around, might be a bit of a project.

I used this rig as my daily driver for years, but I haven't used it in years. 

1986 Jeep Comanche XLS

'91,'92'93ish swapped in 4.0l H.O. straight six motor

4.10 gearing dana 30/35

AW-4 auto trans

vacuum and trans temp gauge

Roll cage 

Permanently registered in MT

I have most of the interior bits in storage and a truck box full of misc parts

The truck has been sitting for around two years, but hasn't really been used daily for at least 6 years.

IMG_3012.JPG

IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

Went out to where the truck has been sitting, rooted around a while inside the cab and found an ignition key. The missing key is the primary reason it has been sitting completely idle. I had been using around my property for firewood.

Threw in a charged battery in the truck and it cranked but no start. I couldn't hear the fuel pump prime, so I wandered back there with a test light, no power the the fuel pump. I ran a fused jumper wire from the battery back to the pump, worked like a charm. I unhooked the fuel line and let the pump get any old fuel out of the tank. Nothing, no gas in the tank, but I could hear the pump. I guess my past self was looking out for me and drained the fuel sometime after I lost the key.

Hooked everything up, added some fresh fuel and went to crank it again. Super slow crank, I could hear the starter solenoid very clearly, but the starter didn't want to turn the motor over now. Funny, it cranked great a few minutes ago. Grabbed a cheater pipe and beat on the starter a bit, while using a remote starter switch to trigger the starter. Motor cranked and fired up. Changed a tire on the rear and drove it on up to the shop. The engine was missing on the way up to the shop. Check engine light was on.

After moving it I evicted the rodents, Vacuumed out the cab and hosed off the outside. 

Next is diagnose the fuel pump power problem and the cylinder misfire.

Went out to where the truck has been sitting, rooted around a while inside the cab and found an ignition key. The missing key is the primary reason it has been sitting completely idle. I had been using around my property for firewood.
Threw in a charged battery in the truck and it cranked but no start. I couldn't hear the fuel pump prime, so I wandered back there with a test light, no power the the fuel pump. I ran a fused jumper wire from the battery back to the pump, worked like a charm. I unhooked the fuel line and let the pump get any old fuel out of the tank. Nothing, no gas in the tank, but I could hear the pump. I guess my past self was looking out for me and drained the fuel sometime after I lost the key.
Hooked everything up, added some fresh fuel and went to crank it again. Super slow crank, I could hear the starter solenoid very clearly, but the starter didn't want to turn the motor over now. Funny, it cranked great a few minutes ago. Grabbed a cheater pipe and beat on the starter a bit, while using a remote starter switch to trigger the starter. Motor cranked and fired up. Changed a tire on the rear and drove it on up to the shop. The engine was missing on the way up to the shop. Check engine light was on.
After moving it I evicted the rodents, Vacuumed out the cab and hosed off the outside. 

Next is diagnose the fuel pump power problem and the cylinder misfire.
Interestingly enough same thing happened to me. After I got my WJ I put my MJ on Craigslist. No serious inquiries so I parked it. 6 months ago decided to get real and picked up a SBC 305 from a 83 Camaro. Check out my project post elsewhere in this forum...Good Luck with yours...

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

On 11/7/2018 at 9:25 AM, grumpiebill said:

Interestingly enough same thing happened to me. After I got my WJ I put my MJ on Craigslist. No serious inquiries so I parked it. 6 months ago decided to get real and picked up a SBC 305 from a 83 Camaro. Check out my project post elsewhere in this forum...Good Luck with yours...

Took a peek, looks like a big project there. That will be a fun rig.

On 11/6/2018 at 8:05 PM, Pete M said:

you would have regretted selling it, I'm sure. :D   looks like a nice truck!

I am still planning to sell it, but I will likely regret it someday. I have a few too many projects. It has been fun working on the Comanche though.

Worked on the rig again today.

Bad relay for the fuel pump, so I replaced it. That took care of the fuel problem.

Found some rodent damage to one of the injector wires, so I soldered in a couple new pieces of wire, got it all wrapped up with heat shrink. Truck fires right up. Still has a pretty good rattle under the truck somewhere, but that is for another day. Rummaged around and found a used set of bfg all-terrains for the truck. Hopefully sometime this week I will get the tires swapped.

Now I am on the look out for a set of seats and a floor covering.

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

On 11/13/2018 at 4:13 PM, Kernel said:

I stocked your rig on craigslist.

Listed for $2k on Craigslist.

Listed for $1k here. After I put in a little more work, I will probably not take 1k anymore, but I would like the rig to find a good home. 

• 2 weeks later...
Current best offer is $500
I would keep this truck at $500. This is why I took mine off the market. A running and drivable vehicle with a clean title is worth no less than $1000. When mine is finished I'll list it with before (remember me?) and after pics for all the low ballers. "This truck you didn't want to pay $1000 for last year...is gonna cost you $5000 now...

1 hour ago, grumpiebill said:

I would keep this truck at $500. This is why I took mine off the market. A running and drivable vehicle with a clean title is worth no less than $1000. When mine is finished I'll list it with before (remember me?) and after pics for all the low ballers. "This truck you didn't want to pay $1000 for last year...is gonna cost you $5000 now...

I hear you, I am just kinda over it. To me selling it for $500 is more finding it a home than anything. I am sure I could part it for more, but I kinda want to see the truck go to somebody whole.

I have way to many rigs, everything runs and drives. It is time to thin the herd. My next move was to buy a parts Cherokee and fix up the Comanche, but I would rather invest my time into other projects. 

I do like that little truck a lot, hope somebody does something cool with it.

• 1 month later...

Quick update,

I have been using the truck around my property and enjoying it. Put a couple other rigs up for sale so my parking area isn't feeling as crowded. 

I am still willing to sell the rig, but I will keep it unless I get 1k. 

The rear main has a pretty decent oil leak and there is a loud rattle, I am assuming is, associated with exhaust. With the age of the motor, I am thinking about pulling it and re-sealing the motor, inspecting everything, etc. 

My question to the forums, what engine gasket set/ rebuild kits do you folks like to run?

I am not looking at replacing pistons, cam, etc. unless I run into problems once I am in there. 

The set I am looking at is sold on Amazon by Guardian Engine Kits. $400

Mahle gasket set and rings

Cloyes timing chain set

Melling oil pump

King bearings

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Rebuild-Timing-Bearings-Gasket/dp/B0115WYQ06

As always, I appreciate any comments and suggestions.

• 2 months later...
Quick update,
I have been using the truck around my property and enjoying it. Put a couple other rigs up for sale so my parking area isn't feeling as crowded. 

I am still willing to sell the rig, but I will keep it unless I get 1k. 

The rear main has a pretty decent oil leak and there is a loud rattle, I am assuming is, associated with exhaust. With the age of the motor, I am thinking about pulling it and re-sealing the motor, inspecting everything, etc. 

My question to the forums, what engine gasket set/ rebuild kits do you folks like to run?
I am not looking at replacing pistons, cam, etc. unless I run into problems once I am in there. 
The set I am looking at is sold on Amazon by Guardian Engine Kits. $400
Mahle gasket set and rings
Cloyes timing chain set
Melling oil pump
King bearings
https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Rebuild-Timing-Bearings-Gasket/dp/B0115WYQ06

As always, I appreciate any comments and suggestions.
I'm sorry I missed this. I haven't been on here in awhile. I've been focusing on my own MJ project. Would like to hear where you are with yours. I got my kit from Chuck Manis Performance in Ocala, Fl..I'm glad you decided to keep it....

• 1 year later...

Another year has gone by, and the Comanche is still relegated to firewood and general ranch duties. I still have too many trucks so it is time to let is go. If anyone runs across this and is interested, let me know.

I still like to the little truck, so I am not going to advertise aggressively, but if a Comanche fan wants to buy it and do something with it... it is available.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Comanche is still around, used it for ranch and firewood duties for the last few years. I had it parked next to the log deck I was cutting out of, and the rodents struck again. This time they ate the distributor wires flush with the distributor and the wiring that goes to it. To the point I can't find a trace of the wires that lead to the distributor.

I am going to order a new distributor, but I need to figure out where the distributor wires come out the the harness. Does any body have a picture or description of where to look to find the distributor wiring in the harness?