couple questions?

ok i am building this 87 comanche the motor was junk... so i got one from the junkyard that runs it's a 1992 4.0 my question is what all do i have to switch over? from my other engine i already did the fan pulley and alternator +the a/c eliminator anything else? intake manifold? power steering pump? also i am swapping a dana 35 in the rear and the one i have is a spring under the other axle looks like a spring over but the shock mounts are different?!?!?! what do i do guys?

Physically it should drop right in, motor mounts will be the same, your old manifolds will bolt on, but if the new motor is an HO, you're probably going to want the HO injectors and get ahold of an HO exhaust manifold, they're header style, and much better than your 87 one. Everything on the front of the motor, i.e. alternator, PS pump, water pump, fan pulley should all bolt the same way.

*I'm assuming your 87 is MPI and not TBI

Another thing is wiring, the 92 and 87 manifolds used completely different throttle bodies, I don't remember if the plugs for the TPS and IAC are the same.

also i am swapping a dana 35 in the rear and the one i have is a spring under the other axle looks like a spring over but the shock mounts are different?!?!?! what do i do guys?

All I know is that an XJ axle needs more than just new shock mounts welded on it. The spring perches are different widths. (I put my XJ axle in my MJ and my leaves are now FUBAR). I think MJ leaves are 2" wider than XJ...something like that. But you do get more lift because of the SOA set up. jamminz.gif

BTW why are you swapping a 35? You know those are like grenades with axle shafts? I'm trying to say that it's a weak axle. If your going through the trouble of swapping all this stuff, it may be time to upgrade the rear end. Do a search on that - there are tons of options out there (dana 44 and ford 8.8 being the most popular).

I recommend the 8.8 :cheers:

i'm swapping the 35 cuz i got the axle free and it's in great shape the carrier on the axle under it now is the wrong size so it's all jacked and i think i figured out the engine i just need to swap everything off my old one to the new one all i'm having problems on now is the floor boards they were completely rotted out so i am haveing to do a $#!& ton of patch work...it sucks

i'm swapping the 35 cuz i got the axle free and it's in great shape the carrier on the axle under it now is the wrong size so it's all jacked and i think i figured out the engine i just need to swap everything off my old one to the new one all i'm having problems on now is the floor boards they were completely rotted out so i am having to do a $#!+ ton of patch work...it sucks
What's your old axle? A D35, or a D44. If you had a 44, then DO NOT CHANGE IT! the 35 is a POS, and not worth changing. I've had nothing but problems with them, albeit small, they piss pinion bearings like crazy. I just pulled the pinion out of my old D35, and the bearings were pretty damn loose.

In my MJ, I'm swapping the 35 to a 8.25. I never got to run the MJ previous to the swap, but when I pulled the cover, it was filled with a half inch layer of sludge in the bottom, above that, the gear oil, and above that, about an inch of water.

We don't have any more d35's sitting under our vehicles here. It's all 8.25's and d44's now, well, except for my ZJ...

Also, why bother with all the work to knock the old perches off a crappy axle, just to put the same axle back in? It just doesnt make sense in my opinion

well the guy i bought it from said it was "too big" but i wouldn't trust this redneck farther than i could throw him and he's about 220lbs so i aint throwin him anywhere the carrier bolts are mia so the gears ar just chillin outside of the pig so i dunno and it was a d35 in it so

but i wouldn't trust this redneck farther than i could throw him and he's about 220lbs so i aint throwin him anywhere the carrier bolts are mia so the gears ar just chillin outside of the pig so i dunno and it was a d35 in it so

Love the terminology there dave