Exhausts?

Alright, this is just a basic question that's been bugging me. I've been eyeing the dynomax muffler and tailpipe for over at quadratec for the 87-92 Cherokee. I was honestly just wondering if it will fit a comanche.

I know plenty about the differences between XJ's and MJ's but I figured since there are enough changes underneath on the rear, there might be some differences in the piping routing or such.

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

yea, so the muffler would work, the tailpipe wouldn't.

but the muffler would only work if it were an in-line muffler not like a rear muffler that you would find on a sports car.

Thanks for the fast reply, it's a shame I didn't get the answer I was hoping for though ;)

Yea, it's an in-line muffler that is directly after the cat. Do you know of any places that sell 2.5" inch piping for the manche, or would it all be just a custom job over at an exhaust shop?

Also, is the main difference in piping just the tail piece, as in the side exit? Mine exits right behind the passenger rear tire.

Thanks again, it's really appreciated :D

you're welcome

the difference in the tailpipe is length, overall dimensions, and angles at which it's bent. so it really can't be made to work.

the job would be a custom job and shouldn't run you over $300 or $400 to have done from the y-pipe back. if it does, you're gettin screwed

Thanks again for the fast reply 8)

Well with the cost of a custom job, i'm probably stuck looking at a high flow cat and a new muffler. Nothing wrong with the current ones, but i'm looking to pull out slightly more ponies. Possibly run a custom air intake as well.

Well with the cost of a custom job, i'm probably stuck looking at a high flow cat and a new muffler. Nothing wrong with the current ones, but i'm looking to pull out slightly more ponies. Possibly run a custom air intake as well.

hi-flow cat and muffler will help alot. changing tube diameter will as well, but you have to gauge whether or not you think it will be enough to dictate the $$$ invested.

the hi-flow cat I have on my 86 with the camaro 3800 has performed well so far but it's also a Nox converter as I have no evap system. hi-flow muffler also helps quite a bit.

hi-flow cat and muffler will help alot. changing tube diameter will as well, but you have to gauge whether or not you think it will be enough to dictate the $$$ invested.

the hi-flow cat I have on my 86 with the camaro 3800 has performed well so far but it's also a Nox converter as I have no evap system. hi-flow muffler also helps quite a bit.

Well I figure, i'm not looking for serious power improvements, as I simply don't have the money for it, and since there won't be any significant changes, the stock piping is probably the most optimized for the setup. I won't lose the torque down low that I would running pretty much stock parts with larger piping.

Low end torque is what i'm going for, and I'm hoping with an air intake, new muffler, and hi flow cat, I can atleast pull an additional 9-10 ponies/10 pounds of torque. Nothing groundbreaking, but atleast getting it up there with the H.O motors.

Well in New Hampshire, (I'm not sure about fl) you can have the exhaust stop anywhere after the "passenger area" probably in Florida too. If i were you id just put on the muffler and then have the exhaust come out behind the cab. You can buy all the tubing you need to do it online or at an exhaust shop. Also it would be cheaper to have it done that way if you hire someone to do it.

Hmmm. I know that actually is legal in Florida now that I remember. How would that effect performance though? Wouldn't it cause a loss of backpressure (or w/e the technical term is) causing worse performance mainly in the TQ department?

well, the theory is that longer exhaust means more low end power and a shorter exhaust means more horsepower. but if you want to run a high flow muffler and cat then your going to get more ho and more torque. when you do this you can use stock diameter tubing and you then run the glasspack backwards if you choose that or you can just go down in the size of tubing you use. i wouldnt say your gonna loose any torque but then iv never run a stock exhaust and had it on a dyno vs. a truck with a shorter one on a dyno to see torque differences. but from my time of hanging around dragstrips and racecar drivers that shorter exhaust is better.

lol. I don't really give a hoot what the truck sounds like...standing proof is the 3800. it sounds like a car. I mean, it rrreaaallly sounds like a car. the loudest thing on it at idle is the inline fuel pump. you can hear it's got a throaty exhaust, and you can hear it more when revving it, but it's quite and economical.

I guess that's ok...less tickets. but idc if it's loud either, don't matter to me either way lol.

what engine is the 3800? 327 mark III or 350, 305, 383, 405 or big block? us new englander care more of what a car/truck sounds like than what it looks like, but I'm also 16 and not grown up.

offroader's got it.

and bud, I'm only 20...you make it sound as if I'm an old fart who don't care anymore :P

It's not that I don't care. I'm just not picky as long as the performance is there. I find life is easier that way. of course, I AM picky about how things look...

ahh sorry about making you seem like a fart. ive never heard a 3.8 called a 3800. i see it as if its an off roader why not make it loud? but thats just me.

lol, the 3.8 is a buick motor. it says 3800 right on the motor too :D

n69205416_31098730_3250.jpg

anywho, I completely agree with you...I just won't spend $$$ to do it if what's there currently functions perfectly well :D

thats a pretty lookin engine! :eek: :popcorn: could stare at it all day! not to familiar with buick engine mostly chevy's and atv engines. speaking of atvs.. if anyone wants a 87 Tecate 4 (250 2-cycle power valves, 6sp, ect) ill be selling it in the spring!

thats a pretty lookin engine! :eek: :popcorn: could stare at it all day! not to familiar with buick engine mostly chevy's and atv engines. speaking of atvs.. if anyone wants a 87 Tecate 4 (250 2-cycle power valves, 6sp, ect) ill be selling it in the spring!

thanks, I have alot of time into it. but you should seee the exhaust...check the 3800 powered by camaro thread. that's my 86.

the manifolds were a b*tch to make, and cutting and welding a y-pipe that has an inner and outer tube sucks. especially when it's stainless...gotta cut, then weld the edges, then smooth, then do the same to the other side, and THEN you can weld them together...

turned out nicely though. I have it set up so I could run as big as 2 and 3/4" exhaust with little effort. I chose to go with 2 and 1/4" though.

sounds fine to me (I hate the fuel pump, it's too loud)...but I could say that I'd be OK with it being a bit louder...

my question is why don't you run headers?

they are headers. well, basically (sorta in-between). I have them running to a single collector with short down-tubes. when I built them, I removed all restriction from them so they act as headers more or less.

I didn't want to make my own headers completely, and there were none available that would fit inside the frame-rails on the truck (I had to notch the unibody frame just to fit the a/c as an example...)

when faced with options, time, $$$, and frustration lead one down a course. I was frustrated, and wanted the damn thing done with. so there ya go. works very well though :D

well as long as its better than stock you can't go wrong

haha, i don't think there's much of a stock situation when you put a camaro engine in a jeep...

sorry for the thread jack guys.

btw here's the driver's side "manifold"

n69205416_31338753_638.jpg

n69205416_31338756_1578.jpg

it started out looking like the rusty one in the background. I took every weld apart and cut out anything that would restrict airflow, then welded everything in from there.