2.5l to 4.0l Renix harness.

Getting ready to swap the harness on the boys MJ project, we have a 1990 MJ donor, i would prefer the 1990 harness but due to some previous owners the harness is a major rats nest.

I also have a 1987 4.0l XJ harness that i could splice in, but the MJ is a 1987 2.5l so both are the early harness with the C101.

What I'm wondering is if the 87 XJ engine harness would be plug and play with the 87 MJ dash harness, or if it would be best to just swap it all and splice the MJ rear harness into the XJ engine and dash harnesses.

I believe the ECU, which  in the Renix years is located under the dashboard, is on the vehicle side of the C101, not the engine room side. I don't think you can just disconnect the engine room harness at the C101 and swap the part that's under the hood.

Looking at the harness it looks like the C101 only runs stuff on the engine harness and although the ECM is under the dash it is still just part of the engine harness, so the XJ engine harness should take care of all of that.

I guess what i need to do is look at the pinouts where the engine harness plugs into the dash harness behind the fuse panel to see if they match up.

I typically swap the engine & dash harnesses as a set, but these harnesses being the same years has me wondering. As unlikely as it is that they will play nice together, it would be nice to not have to swap the dash harness or do the rear harness splice.

20180722_124716_HDR.jpg