LSV: No way this works, right?

Just purchased a 1992 Base 2WD last weekend.  Drove it 100 miles home to York, PA from Queenstown, MD.  The brakes were very soft.  This is what the LSV (load sensing valve, attached to the driver's side of the D35 read) looks like:

20180623_103858.jpg

I just want to confirm, with it like this, there is basically little to no rear brake pressure.  I am almost positive that is correct, and the soft brakes would support that.  So how does it get like this?  Will the LSV invert at droop if put on a lift?  Was this just installed incorrectly?  I think this is totally wrong based on everything I know about the LSV, but it's so odd looking I had to post.  Any comments are welcome.  Thanks.

That’s about 90 degrees out of position.  The arm should be rotated to about 3:00 (on a clock face) or roughly horizontal pointing toward the differential.  Disconnect the rod at the arm or the differential cover to relocate it.  

Don (Hornbrod) did a post on adjusting the arm on the valve shaft that really helped my rear braking.  He may pop up a repost or direct you to it if you ask nicely.

It can be installed that way VERY easily if the person working on it either didn't know how it's supposed to go or wasn't paying attention, and it's no harder to install "wrong" than it is to install it "right". The LSV linkage needs to be unbolted from the diff, and the arm that comes directly from the LSV needs to be rotated 90 degrees CCW - that is the correct position. I know this because I hooked mine up as in your pic back in 2012, and about 3 years later someone saw a picture of it in my build thread and told me how it was supposed to be put on.

As it is, it is sending minimal fluid to the rear brakes, and so your rear brakes are probably not doing any meaningful work at all. I noticed an immediate and drastic improvement to my brakes after installing it correctly, and even more improvement after adjusting it as described here:

Thanks for the input.  You guys confirmed everything I thought I knew.

Based on my experience deleting the LSV on my 91, I'm going to replace all the rear hard lines and wheel cylinders before I mess with it.  Then I plan on getting it installed correctly just to verify it works, then I'm going to delete it.