New Build Thread - Griff04

I thought I’d start a new thread for the build. 

Received the truck this morning at 4am, had it shipped through UShip. This is the 5th vehicle that I’ve have shipped using their providers and the worst to date. Never again, if there is another time I’ll go get it myself. 

Anyway, got out this morning and did an overall visual, here are some things that stood out. 

Overall the truck is solid, the only visible rust, surface rust only, I could find was in the bed and a couple of spots around some small creases. Even the floors are solid as a rock. 

Mechanically, 

1. Brakes spongy, found rear wheel cylinder leaking, hence the quart of brake fluid I found in the bed. Will be going through entire brake system. 

2. Oil on underside of motor, doesn’t appear to be a RMS more of a leaking valve cover gasket coming from the backside. It’s apparent that the PO attempted replacing the gasket but wasn’t successful with the leak. I see a Felpro in the near future. 

3.  Noticed what appeared to be some type of fluid blowing down the drivers side top and bottom side of the engine bay. It was very noticeable on the main air filter box. It looked like it was possibly blowing out the vent whole on the power steering reservoir, I’ll add a pic. I checked the level it was overfilled, above the high line on the cap dipstick. Hopefully that is all it was. Anyone else experienced this, it was either over filled or some type of back pressure blowing it out. 

4. What is this, will add picture. Found this round object floating around the engine bay, appears to have a vacuum line and sensor hooked to it. Not quite sure what it is and where it mounts??

5. Starting and driving. Drives okay, tranny shifts out, rides a little rough, will need to do something with tires and rims. Will add pic. One thing I did notice was while starting and when it fires it “high idles” for several seconds and then backs off to a normal idle. Is this normal on the EFI?

6. Cosmetically it needs some love. A good cleaning for a start. Headliner is missing, carpet needs replacing etc, that will be further down the road when I get through the mechanical part of it. 

7. Also PO failed to mention that it took a minor hit on front end. Damage to bumper, hood, and grille, it is driveable though. 

I know that’s a lot to read through but could use some help on the question that are mixed in. 

2AEFE19F-E6AB-410B-A655-A0F802EAA5BB.jpeg

375BB15E-4743-4DB1-8C90-0CD77F140473.jpeg

5478E7C0-AD16-4B73-8B96-1034081F5FE8.jpeg

Another question. I’ve never had much confidence in “idiot lights”. With the ignition turned on shouldn’t both the lights on the left side be illuminated?? Really concerned about the temp light. 

B3EE9A53-1C03-4774-8348-DC9EB2A6381F.jpeg

If you slightly pull back, towards off, on the ignition switch, can you get the idiot lights to go out, while still having ignition on ? Do idiot lights go out when vehicle engine is running?

looks like a solid truck.  :D  you should put the specs into your signature.

a tip, tech questions from the thread starter should really go into the tech forum.  not everyone reads the project threads and that would give the best chance of a person who knows seeing the question. :L:  

20 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

If you slightly pull back, towards off, on the ignition switch, can you get the idiot lights to go out, while still having ignition on ? Do idiot lights go out when vehicle engine is running?

The lights go off when the engine is started. I’m more concerned about the temp light, the top

left one, that is not coming on when the ignition is switched to acc position as the 2 on the right side come on. 

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

a tip, tech questions from the thread starter should really go into the tech forum.  not everyone reads the project threads and that would give the best chance of a person who knows seeing the question. :L:  

I’ll add my specs and thanks for directing me to the tech forum. 

Griff04

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I’m not a complete idiot but I can’t seem to find the Signature field location in my Profile settings?? Maybe a iPhone issue??

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

I use a computer rather than a phone so I'm not certain either. :dunno:  but if you let me know what you want it to say, I can copy/paste it in there for you. :L:  

Found the signature link using my laptop...

Griff

Rear brakes rebuilt today, everything back together, will bleed system and move on to the front disc for inspection tomorrow. I don’t believe they have ever been serviced. At least a 1/2” to 3/4” buildup of old fluid, dirt, and grime. One cylinder completely blown out and the other pouring fluid, no wonder the truck came with a quart of brake fluid.  

6F8A9969-1020-46D2-AAFC-7E6B1BF74B59.jpeg

Truck looks like a great find!

You can determine if the lights are functioning by performing a ground test.

Upgrade to full compliment gauges asap. The cluster from any 87-89 Jeep should be plug & play. Its easy to swap over and keep your existing speedometer/odometer.

✊🏿

• 2 weeks later...

I got a sweet deal on some new tires and rims that I couldn’t pass up. Found them on the Jax CL for $400, PO had wrecked his XJ and was parting it out, tires have less than 1000 miles on them. 

The ones I’m taking off I don’t have much details, they Jeeper Creepers 15x10. I’ve Googled them for details and can’t find any. 

They are free for the taking. I’m in Albany Ga 31707. Really don’t want to ship. Come and get them. 

81F580B2-B9B1-4112-9FDB-ADB795B324F2.jpeg

EAE10427-0967-4A1B-8B77-B3ACBD909D6B.jpeg

1F538BF3-4EE9-46CC-8F0E-7F265EAD250D.jpeg

11B3BC75-DDF5-4154-A4BD-E1E0C3CE558D.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Keep knocking things off my list. Recent items. 

1. JK shock upgrade. 100% better, the shocks I removed were shot. 

2. Draglink to pitman arm ball joint replacement, corrected looseness in steering. 

3. Rebuilt oil filter adapter assembly, replaced orings, it was pouring oil. 

4. Replaced valve cover gasket, it was pouring oil down the backside of the bell housing

5. Finished up RMS replacement yesterday. I was hoping the oil filter adapter rebuild and VC gasket would eliminate all my oil leaks but they didn’t. Test drove across town this morning and it didn’t appearing to be leaking anymore. Taking it to the hunting camp tomorrow dragging my trailer and 4 wheeler, that will be the test. 

Still got some brake and idle issues at the top of my list....they are next. 

BTW, the RMS replacement was a PIA!!!!!!!!

Griff04

Took the test drive today to check out the RMS replacement. Drove it hard pulling trailer up to the deer camp round trip 70 miles, everything underneath was bone dry, no oil anywhere. 

I can mark that off my list. Hallelujah!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Started the major tune-up this morning. Was surprised to see NGK plugs in it and surprised at the shape they were. All of them burned white but 1, same one that plug wire basically fell out of the plug boot when I grabbed hold of it. There was definitely a difference in idle and acceleration when I got done. 

Replaced everything with the following:

Napa wires, distributor cap, and button. 

NGK plugs. 

Ordered a set of Bosch 746 injectors which should be here Friday. Will get them installed over the weekend, I’m hoping to see some more improvement afterwards. 

Griff04

Completed the Bosch 746 injector swapout today. Idles better and appears to have a little more pep but the verdict is still out on the performance aspect. Other than some missing parts on the fuel rail that the PO failed to mentioned I’m satisfied. 

58885DFA-BDED-4E80-B4D4-CCE59EB1DBC3.jpeg

Ordered parts last week for a headlight upgrade and swapping out the ECU with a 428. Ran into a couple of issues when the headlight upgrade. 

1. New headlights would not fit due to having tabs on the backside of them which wouldn’t allow them to seat properly into the headlight adjustment plate assembly. Used my old headlights, looks like the PO May have upgraded them to some type of halogens but not 100% sure. 

2. Pulled the upgraded wiring harness out of the box and the wire that connects to the inline fuse jus fell out. Tried pulling the clip out so I could reattach it but couldn’t get it out. I had a spare one left over from another project so I just used it. 

Once I got everything buttoned back up and turned on the lights the brightness was like night and day, could even tell a difference in the daylight. Will try them out after dark. 

The ECU swapout will have to wait until tomorrow, done got way too hot out here...I need an air conditioned shop!!!

FD5C08EF-3179-4AEF-9B61-8DFEF23AD843.jpeg

We got a late afternoon rain and it cooled off somewhat so I went ahead and swapped out the ECU, took 30 minutes, PIA with location. With everything I’ve done with plug wires, plugs, cap/rotor, TB cleaning, and the injectors it’s really hard to tell if the ECU swap made a difference or not. It’s definitely idling and running 100% better. I’ll just say if nothing else it’s been swapped. 

Griff04

Replaced my b-pillar lights today with some plug n play Euramtec...found them on EBay but there is also a link here on the forum about them. Pretty straightforward install. I’ll see how bright they shine after dark...but anything would be better than “the nothing” that I had. 

54C049E0-6A8D-4618-9688-168F86D9DED2.jpeg