rotors for wj

Scott86mj

You need to go to the aftermarket. Drilled and slotted. Also need to look at the calipers and pads to see if you can find something like dual pistons, and ceramic pads to help with the heat. Or you could just turn them and deal with it. Summit is where I have found the most options for brakes. jamminz.gifjamminz.gif

Is this an early (1999 or 2000) WJ? If so, the problem is that the rotors are composite (stamped steel center "hat" with a cast rotor around it. The dissimilarity in the material reacts badly to heat and they warp, badly and often. I had a '99 WJ for about 9 months and 14,000 miles. In that period, the original rotors were recut once at the dealership, then they were replaced (under warranty), then the replacements were recut, and when Chrysler bought the thing back from me the rotors were due to be replaced again.

Unfortunately, any stock-type replacement is going to be made the same way and will have the same problem. You need to get into some higher quality aftermarket stuff, such as Power Slot rotors, to have much chance of beating the problem.

Jeep had a TSB on the WJ. They changed the caliper design which fixed the problem. Had it happen on mine. There was also a lawsuit settlement which requires the dealers to fix this issue all the way upto 2002 model year. for more details see here.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/TSB/tsb_0500306.pdf

0500302B - FRONT BRAKE PULSATION DURING LIGHT TO MODERATE BRAKE APPLICATION

Date: 12/16/02 (supersedes 0500302A Dated June 10, 2002)

Model Year(s): 1999-2002 (WJ models built on or after May 11, 2002; WG export models built on or after August 16, 2002).

Description: Brake roughness or pedal pulsation when the brakes are applied. The customer may experience a vibration of the steering wheel, floor, seat, instrument panel, or a minor pedal pulsation (brake roughness) under light to moderate pedal application. The condition may be caused by excessive thickness variation of the brake rotor surface.

Details: This bulletin involves the replacement of both front brake rotors and caliper assemblies. NOTE: NEW BRAKE ROTORS MUST BE USED WITH THE NEW BRAKE CALIPERS.

Diagnosis:

1. Determine if the front brake vibration/pulsation is caused by excessive thickness variation of either front brake rotor.

2. If excessive thickness variation of the front brake rotor is at fault perform the Repair Procedure.

3. If this bulletin has already been performed, and front brake pulsation/vibration is present, do not perform the Repair Procedure. Investigate other possible cases for front brake pulsation/vibration.

Parts required:

52098672 Rotor (MSRP: $65.10 ea.)

05093174AA Caliper kit (Left & Right calipers, brake pads, attachment bolts, banjo sealing washers)

04318080AB Brake fluid (DOT3/MS-4574)

Is this an early (1999 or 2000) WJ? If so, the problem is that the rotors are composite (stamped steel center "hat" with a cast rotor around it. The dissimilarity in the material reacts badly to heat and they warp, badly and often. I had a '99 WJ for about 9 months and 14,000 miles. In that period, the original rotors were recut once at the dealership, then they were replaced (under warranty), then the replacements were recut, and when Chrysler bought the thing back from me the rotors were due to be replaced again.

Unfortunately, any stock-type replacement is going to be made the same way and will have the same problem. You need to get into some higher quality aftermarket stuff, such as Power Slot rotors, to have much chance of beating the problem.

Yes it is a 99 model.