Seat foam question

A big part of the problem is that the springs under the foam aren't substantial enough and stretch and sag over time and use.  The foam in it may well still be good.   If you can acquire a second set of springs....this is what I did....copied from an earlier post.

"I also got the two seating springs from each side.  I zip tied the new springs overlaying directly onto the old one in my seat.  I think I used close to 100 ct bag of the mini zips at every conceivable point it might shift out of alignment.  I then used longer zip ties in an interlacing pattern so the convolutions in the double spring setup wouldn't allow for much separation between them.  I then covered that with a heavy fabric, put the foam back and the seat covers on.  The sag was reduced dramatically resulting in much better support.  Finding the second set of  springs for this is the challenge but I can imagine there are a few just sitting around left from those who have switched to buckets.  Just another possible option for those wanting to keep a bench."

I picked up the floor brackets from an MJ at the JY just the other day.  I should have gotten the springs too I guess, but didn't need them myself.  A pair of hog ring pliers and rings are handy for putting the fabric back on.

19 minutes ago, rokinn said:

A big part of the problem is that the springs under the foam aren't substantial enough and stretch and sag over time and use.  The foam in it may well still be good.   If you can acquire a second set of springs....this is what I did....copied from an earlier post.

"I also got the two seating springs from each side.  I zip tied the new springs overlaying directly onto the old one in my seat.  I think I used close to 100 ct bag of the mini zips at every conceivable point it might shift out of alignment.  I then used longer zip ties in an interlacing pattern so the convolutions in the double spring setup wouldn't allow for much separation between them.  I then covered that with a heavy fabric, put the foam back and the seat covers on.  The sag was reduced dramatically resulting in much better support.  Finding the second set of  springs for this is the challenge but I can imagine there are a few just sitting around left from those who have switched to buckets.  Just another possible option for those wanting to keep a bench."

I picked up the floor brackets from an MJ at the JY just the other day.  I should have gotten the springs too I guess, but didn't need them myself.  A pair of hog ring pliers and rings are handy for putting the fabric back on.

I Actually have the original seat still. the fabric is toast however I should be able to take the springs off of it. Not sure why I kept it but now I'm glad I did lol. thanks!

After I had my bench seat out, I slid a custom cut piece of office carpet protector--you know that clear thick vinyl sheeting that sits under office chairs to help protect carpet?  Slid it up under the springs, which was quite the challenge.  Worked like a charm and totally corrected my bench sag.

I guess those springs work their way deep into the foam padding, causing the sag.    

More than one way to skin a cat, no? :beerchug:   The springs aren't really springs per se.  They're really just a lattice work of thick wire that has convexity in shape to it to sit on.  There is only about an inch of space between each row of wire so there is really no penetration of spring into the foam to speak of unless the foam is totally disintegrated, and it's really pretty high quality foam at that.   There was also some fabric between the spring and the foam.  Not sure if this was standard or not.  Of the two seats only one had it.  Adding in the spring was a fair bit of work so adding in the plastic might be the way to go.  Or not :D