Comanche 88's 87 MJ

• 6 months later...

Some updates from this weekend

Warn Bumper ready to be mounted

OHM_5951.sized.jpg

Bumper brackets mounted to the car. the bumper is held to these brackets using 14 bolts! Sturdy as hell but it should be as the bumper probably weighs around 60-70 kilos and with the winch that's going on top you're looking at around 100 kilos. Aligning these brackets with bolt holes in the bumper turned out to be difficult, especially since I didn't have anyone to help me. Gave up on two of the bolts, but I reckon twelve should do.

OHM_5955.sized.jpg

The finished result with the T-Max vinch mounted. I also trimmed the flares a little

OHM_5960.sized.jpg

OHM_5962.sized.jpg

OHM_5963.sized.jpg

Guest vzehler

Nice looking comanche!

As a note, you might take that one wheel and tire that needed so much weight back and have them rotate the tire on the wheel 180 degrees. It almost always helps that problem...

:cheers: Excellent job. The Jeep is looking great!

Hey...is that at horse carriage in the background in this shot?

OHM_5955.sized.jpg

It sure is

In the rom next to where i was working there's probably another 8-10 carriages. In the background of this shot you see my fathers converted bus with room for three horses, one carriage and living space for four people.

OHM_5960.sized.jpg

It's not really my thing though, but i sometimes help out when my father goes to competitions.

My truck sat the same way as yours when I installed my skyjacker lift. It leveled out a bit but is still a tad higher in the front. And don't worry the kit gets nice and flexy after a little while.

My truck sat the same way as yours when I installed my skyjacker lift. It leveled out a bit but is still a tad higher in the front. And don't worry the kit gets nice and flexy after a little while.

In the begining it was really high in the front which was due to the combination of a Teraflex 1,5" budget boost which was made for XJ's and the Skyjacker kit which was also high in the front. old and tired leafs probably didn't help either. I removed the Teraflex spacer and put in two OME 1cm spacers. after this it was still very slightly high in the front. Now with the new bumper and winch it's a little lower in the front. It probably hadn't settled completely when I took those pictures.

It flexes great now, I also removed the overload leafs which I think helps alot.

Very nice truck. Are you going to Jeep jamboree scandinavia next week?

http://www.jeepclubsweden.se/jamboree/Start.htm

I was thinking about it until I heard there would be no offroading.

By the way, your MJ is awesome. which bumper is that?

Whereabouts do you live, if you live close to norway you should come to some of jeep club norway's meets. So far I'm the only active member with an MJ

Very nice truck. Are you going to Jeep jamboree scandinavia next week?

http://www.jeepclubsweden.se/jamboree/Start.htm

I was thinking about it until I heard there would be no offroading.

By the way, your MJ is awesome. which bumper is that?

Whereabouts do you live, if you live close to norway you should come to some of jeep club norway's meets. So far I'm the only active member with an MJ

There will be some offroading on the jamboree ive heard.

The Bumper is homemade. I´m working with almost everything in metal so for me its easier to build than buy. I'm almost living in SAAB Town Trollhättan 20km south ofit an 60km north of Göteborg

Took it wheeling on monday together with a few people from Jeep Club Norway and it performed beyond expectation jamminz.gif Most of the time I was following a CJ7 and a TJ, both on 35's and with relatively big lifts. there were only a few places where the wheelbase and overhang stopped me, and quite a few where they gave me a definite advantage

I've managed to bend the corners of my original bumper everytime i've gone wheeling but everytime I was able to bend it back into shape with almost no permanent damage. This time I really killed it though! actually tore the sheetmetal half off. here's the moment when it really goes

IMG_4343.sized.jpg

I have plans to build a very slim but robust bumper and I actually went and bought 100*30mm square tubing for it this morning, I also asked the welding shop to make me some Tabs for the recovery points.

However i'm going wheeling tomorrow and i needed a quick fix for the original bumper so I wouldn't ruin the bed.

Here's what I came up with:

OHM_6111.sized.jpg

The center section inside the frame mount seems to be really sturdy but outside the frame it's just flimsy sheet metal until you get to the vertical support that the rubber extensions are mounted to. I just welded in a piece of square tubing that connects the two vertical supports, I also put a few spotwelds along the bottom which should stop the sheetmetal from tearing off.

Flexes really nicely now

IMG_4342.sized.jpg

IMG_4364.sized.jpg

Damn rear bumper :mad: couldn't get close enough to climb this rock

IMG_0207.sized.jpg

Jan-Erik in the Tj also tried but chickened out when his front wheels lifted, pretty sure I wouldn't have that problem.

IMG_0222.sized.jpg

Some more pics

IMG_4367.sized.jpg

IMG_4368.sized.jpg

Lots of pics here

http://picasaweb.google.no/macern7/GP2Juni2008

And here

http://picasaweb.google.no/mareritt/JeepSvinndal262008

And finally here

http://vagner.jeje.je/bilder/Mandagstreff-GP-02-06-08

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent a bit of time lately building my new rear bumper since the old one was always getting in the way when wheeling and was badly beaten up as a result. I started out with 100*30*4mm square tubing which was cut to match the angle of the bed sides and sticking out about 1cm on each side. A local welding shop also made D ring tabs for me out of 2cm steel

Feeling a bit naked

OHM_6291.sized.jpg

I used the original bumper brackets since they seemed to be quite sturdy and the were mounted to the frame rails using five bolts, I just had to cut to the right length

OHM_6292.sized.jpg

Started by cutting the tubing to the correct length

OHM_6293.sized.jpg

Raised the sides by adding some pieces of the leftover tubing

OHM_6295.sized.jpg

Since the original bumper was mounted so much lower I had to remove a little bit of the bottom of the original bumper bracket. I added some strengthening on the top to compensate

OHM_6300.sized.jpg

Flush mounted the receiver tube

OHM_6306.sized.jpg

OHM_6308.sized.jpg

OHM_6315.sized.jpg

D ring tabs mounted and welded to both inside and outside of bumper

OHM_6314.sized.jpg

The protection for the bed sides was made from 4mm steel which I had a the local welding shop cut and bend based on a cardboard template I made.

OHM_6311.sized.jpg

Almost finished

OHM_6312.sized.jpg

Braced the steel plate using some 30*30 square tubing and painted the bumper in semi-gloss black

OHM_6316.sized.jpg

On the car

OHM_6332.sized.jpg

OHM_6330.sized.jpg

OHM_6333.sized.jpg

The next project is rock rails, I already have the materials I need

yeahthat.gif :agree:

Awesome design!

I just bought my truck a few months ago, and the current project is making it into a dependable daily driver. Since it had been neglected and the front end had been wrecked, that took quite a bit of work.

Next on the list (next year) is a lift, bigger tires and other mods for off road, including hopefully a bumper like yours.

Thanks for the inspiration.