Mystery relay

I picked up a brand new 1990 Renix computer for $14 bucks because they thought it was a ABS computer. Maybe I’m the sucker cause I don’t own a Renix yet but I keep the parts around.

Anyway that relay looks aftermarket from what I see, I’m thinking they added fog lights or fan. Only way to tell is trace it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I picked up a brand new 1990 Renix computer for $14 bucks because they thought it was a ABS computer. Maybe I’m the sucker cause I don’t own a Renix yet but I keep the parts around.

Anyway that relay looks aftermarket from what I see, I’m thinking they added fog lights or fan. Only way to tell is trace it back.

It came factory with fog lights, Wagoneer limited, double stacked clipped. He removed the fog light switch and put an sux fan switch (the relay above the egr solenoid in my pic, I'm not sure what the lower relay is? Factory fog lights? It runs into the headlamp harness but I couldn't get it to affect anything 0cec3f019f9061c1c80c21eaf9566ec6.jpg8be52479758fcf441cb1fd6e32e9e65b.jpg

Chasing down PO wiring gremlins...

Also noticed the factory wiper delay module was unplugged from one side and had the white wire from the control switch side running to the green w/black on the other side...

87' XJ Wagoneer I-6 AW4 NP242

I have a wagoneer but it was before the quad headlights so I’m not sure how they run the wires for that setup.

I know some guys make their own harness with relays to help take the load off the factory set up which often melts the plug. I would think if it runs it to the headlight harness it would be for the fog lights. You may have fish out the factory fog light wiring to see what getting power. (should be a left and right side plugs/wires feeding from around the headlights.)

The wiper patch is weird, I’m not sure what they were doing but it probably works only on high or something. When I first got my xj a windshield leak shorted out delay module I removed the module and plugged both sides together, wipers worked normally (no delay) for a year until I went home where I had plenty of junk yards to pick.

I have a wagoneer but it was before the quad headlights so I’m not sure how they run the wires for that setup.

I know some guys make their own harness with relays to help take the load off the factory set up which often melts the plug. I would think if it runs it to the headlight harness it would be for the fog lights. You may have fish out the factory fog light wiring to see what getting power. (should be a left and right side plugs/wires feeding from around the headlights.)

The wiper patch is weird, I’m not sure what they were doing but it probably works only on high or something. When I first got my xj a windshield leak shorted out delay module I removed the module and plugged both sides together, wipers worked normally (no delay) for a year until I went home where I had plenty of junk yards to pick.

I'll try removing the module and plugging them together. It frustrating I'm running into so many cut and spliced wires with things unplugged...idk what's supposed to be there and what's not.

Also, I put power to the motor and it works on both speeds so it's not the motor. The blinker/wiper/cruise control arm is missing the cruise control portion entirely and is very loose....I'm thinking the issue might be with the control switch itself, but I'd like to ensure it's wired proper before pulling the steering column....

Does anyone know or have a link to a wiring diagram for the wiper system, I can't find one. I've found the Russian site with factory manuals, that's how I was able to know what to test on the motor/control connection..but I'm seeing different color wires from control switch to delay to harness....just trying not to pull my hair out.

Also, how difficult would it be to bypass the control arm entirely and just put the wipers on a rheostat dial switch?

Answers in CAPS

1 hour ago, Kyleinreallife said:

Also, I put power to the motor and it works on both speeds so it's not the motor. The blinker/wiper/cruise control arm is missing the cruise control portion entirely and is very loose....I'm thinking the issue might be with the control switch itself, but I'd like to ensure it's wired proper before pulling the steering column....

YOU ARE MOST LIKELY CORRECT ABOUT THE STALK MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH AS THEY CAN CRACK UP OVER TIME. IF THE STALK IS FLOPPING AROUND IN THERE IT'S  PROBABLY BROKEN. I DIDN'T HAVE VARIABLE SPEED WIPERS ON MY TRUCK ORIGINALLY AND ONE OF THE THINGS I HAD TO DO WAS REPLACE THE MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH. IT'S WAS A BEAR TO DO, AS IT'S BURIED DEEP INSIDE THE COLUMN. I HATE WORKING INSIDE THE STEERING COLUMN. ALSO HERE ARE MANY VARIATIONS OF THE MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH; W. AND W/O CRUISE, TILT OR NON-TILT, VARIABLE SPEED OR NOT, ETC. SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO REPLACE IT; IT'S PROBABLY NOT CORRECT ANYHOW.

Does anyone know or have a link to a wiring diagram for the wiper system, I can't find one. I've found the Russian site with factory manuals, that's how I was able to know what to test on the motor/control connection..but I'm seeing different color wires from control switch to delay to harness....just trying not to pull my hair out.

WIRE COLORS VARIED FROM YEAR TO YEAR. BUT FUNCTIONALLY THEY WERE WIRED THE SAME. YOU NEED AN ELECTRICAL FSM FOR YOUR YEAR TO MATCH YOUR WIRE COLORS. HERE'S A DOWNLOAD LINK FOR THE 88 MANUAL:

http://www.bteventures.com//mj1988electricalmanual.pdf

Also, how difficult would it be to bypass the control arm entirely and just put the wipers on a rheostat dial switch?

I SAY DON'T DO IT. A LOT OF CIRCUITS GO THRU THAT SWITCH - TRY TO WIRE THINGS AS THE FACTORY DID.

I agree with Don. Don't try to create work-arounds -- that's what generates all the "I have no idea what the previous owner of my Jeep did" posts regarding wiring. Get a copy of the factory wiring diagrams, and fix it so it works the way it was designed. That way, you can always come back and fix it again if something breaks, and you don't have to try and remember what you did.

I have the electric troubleshooting books, be a few days before I could dig them out.
But they way I’d approach this is I’d source another steering column not even bother trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with that one. I’ve replaced the the turn signal wiper switch, it was a pain to do. Never want to take the column apart like that again.

I’d be more replace over repair screwed up wiring. I’ve tried sorting out electrical gremlins and previous owner repairs, the way I think about it now is to source a harness in good shape and just replace it.

Maybe a junk yard to clip a few plugs with enough wire to match it up. Nice thing about the XJ/MJ is the wiper modules and most of the electrical plugs stay the same 1984-94. Stuff like engine harness and bulkhead plugs change every so often but the plug for fog lights, wiper, defrost, radio, rear wiper, stayed the same or similar.
If you can find a 87-88 dash harness it might be worth having on hand if there are any more surprises.
I don’t know how much effort you’d want to put into this wagoneer, if it’s just for off road fun you might be able to live with some of the flaws.

I have the electric troubleshooting books, be a few days before I could dig them out.
But they way I’d approach this is I’d source another steering column not even bother trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with that one. I’ve replaced the the turn signal wiper switch, it was a pain to do. Never want to take the column apart like that again.

I’d be more replace over repair screwed up wiring. I’ve tried sorting out electrical gremlins and previous owner repairs, the way I think about it now is to source a harness in good shape and just replace it.

Maybe a junk yard to clip a few plugs with enough wire to match it up. Nice thing about the XJ/MJ is the wiper modules and most of the electrical plugs stay the same 1984-94. Stuff like engine harness and bulkhead plugs change every so often but the plug for fog lights, wiper, defrost, radio, rear wiper, stayed the same or similar.
If you can find a 87-88 dash harness it might be worth having on hand if there are any more surprises.
I don’t know how much effort you’d want to put into this wagoneer, if it’s just for off road fun you might be able to live with some of the flaws.

Okay, the harness looks in good shape except for the work arounds PO did, I might spend a few more hours seeing what I can undo before I go with the whole new harness option. As far as the head lamps...I'll probably end up making a custom one.

How do I tell exactly what year I'm looking at at the jy?

You may not have a lot of options, for plugs and stuff any early XJ 84-95 should be a source.

Dash harness there is no interchange on, I’d assume 87-88 are the same, possible 89-90 as well, I know 91 changed.

I used a 88 XJ dash harness with a 86 engine harness, which shouldn’t have worked except I think because 86 was the first Renix year jeep had already changed bulkhead plugs even on the gm v6.

I’m not sure what to tell you about the wagoneer headlight harness, got to be damn rare now. Should be repairable, I’d think the headlight harness plug would be the same or close to it as the regular XJ & MJ

You may not have a lot of options, for plugs and stuff any early XJ 84-95 should be a source.
Dash harness there is no interchange on, I’d assume 87-88 are the same, possible 89-90 as well, I know 91 changed.
I used a 88 XJ dash harness with a 86 engine harness, which shouldn’t have worked except I think because 86 was the first Renix year jeep had already changed bulkhead plugs even on the gm v6.

I’m not sure what to tell you about the wagoneer headlight harness, got to be damn rare now. Should be repairable, I’d think the headlight harness plug would be the same or close to it as the regular XJ & MJ

I'm planning on keeping this thing and passing it down. I've been eliminating unnecessary plugs/connector as I change out and upgrade wiring. I've got the factory lamps, but once I get my new bumper built and know what lights I'm going to have on it I'll just make a custom harness

8 hours ago, Eagle said:

Check the VIN

Yes, and the emissions sticker under the hood has the year of manufacture on it.  Some vehicles, that info is also on a sticker inside the driver side door jamb.  

Depending on the junkyard, they may be able to print you a list of all the vehicles of a specific model/year range in their yard for you, if you ask.  Some will have the location in the yard.  Other places will have a sticker on every car in the yard, generally on the windshield and/or rear fender indicating the year and sometimes the date it was set in the yard.  I am generally talking pull your own part type places.  

Yes, and the emissions sticker under the hood has the year of manufacture on it.  Some vehicles, that info is also on a sticker inside the driver side door jamb.  

Depending on the junkyard, they may be able to print you a list of all the vehicles of a specific model/year range in their yard for you, if you ask.  Some will have the location in the yard.  Other places will have a sticker on every car in the yard, generally on the windshield and/or rear fender indicating the year and sometimes the date it was set in the yard.  I am generally talking pull your own part type places.  

Great info, thanks!

Might take this weekend and go shopping.