Waggy front clip, headlamp bucket springs

I just picked upa 1988 XJ Wagoneer, going to swap out the stock front clip with the wagoneer clip. The problem is there were no headlamp bucket springs in the header assembly. The parts manual shows a spring #56002220, but I have no idea where it attaches to on the header or the bucket. Anyone one done the swap and have some pics of the bucket assemblies, with the spring installed? Is there only one spring or are there two per bucket? I am ready to disassembly, and reassemble but not without the bucket springs. Thanks

Pete thats great, now I just need to find the springs. I have searched high and low to find 56002220 which is the spring part number all I am getting is NLA. You got alternatives for the factory bucket springs? They have to be out there but based on the size of the bucket and the clip location a standard Comanche, Cherokee, or even a YJ spring is not going to work. Not a lot of Waggys in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I tried some of the top Jeep salvage yards in the country and most say no luck.

it's just a retainer spring.  nothing all that special.  I'd wager that there are others out there that would suffice.  other MJ/XJs?  chevy trucks?  I'd bet something at Lowes would work.  I'll try to remove one tomorrow so you can see the side profile.  

Thanks Pete, the parts diagram is not very detailed to get a visual on the spring itself. Specs on the length, hook configuration, length of the coil, diameter, would help in trying to make or adapt a spring to the application. I can't be the only guy out here that is missing headlight bucket springs for a waggy clip, someone has had to come up with a solution.

this is the profile.  it's about 1.5" long at rest.  all it does it hold the bucket against the adjustment screw.  it really could be any spring that is reasonable close.  :thumbsup:  the key is a large enough hook to fit around the fiberglass of the fascia.  

20180118_112031.jpg

Thanks for the picture Pete, that's a lot different then what I had pictured in my mind. Hornbrod, you may be right, with a little surgery it might work. What about heating it and reshaping it, just the lower tang part? Spring steel? I am sure that my torch can put enough heat to it, just what happens to the steel? Does it get brittle, or lose some elasticity? I am not a metallurgist. But at this point something close with a few tweeks is going to have to work. Unless I happen upon another Waggy Clip. Ha Ha

• 4 weeks later...

OK it took a little longer than I wanted but I actually got the last (4) OEM waggy headlamp bucket springs. 2 came out of Vermont, 2 came out of Colorado Springs. They were the last 4 in the US in Mopar parts dealers. The front clip is installed and it does look pretty cool. Installed my 850's in the Waggys front bumper so the location make room for the turn signals. I modified my high out put upgraded headlamp harness to run the low and high beam lamps, used the waggys headlamp connectors and soldered them to the relay harness. Everything works just like its factory, fogs on the dash switch, high beams the fogs go out. Once I got the springs in hand I realized that making a spring would have been pretty hard, they were specific to the wagoneer clip.

DSCN0017.jpg