D35 lube fill

7355f386f84eccc4a2c4486d5c0dd22d.jpg

There is no fill port on the body of the differential. The cover has a rubber plug that looks to be at the right full level.

I’ve pried around on the edges but I’m concerned I’ll tear it up getting it out and then have no way to seal the differential.

Is the hole possibly threaded so that the rubber plug can be replaced

with a pipe plug?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back when I had the D35 I tore the plug up a bit when removing. The hole was not threaded. I refilled it and reused the rubber plug, and it luckily didn't leak. But I did order a new cover with a real threaded bung and replaced the crappy original.

I grabbed a new plug off Amazon when I serviced the diff.  Slowly trying to replace all old rubber bits.

Check out the pics, you can see it's just a barbed rubber plug. Pop it out. If it's old and brittle, yes it might tear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007Q0DAXG/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516047931&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dana+35+drain+plug

41zwRHlGZYL._SY400_.jpg

There is allegedly a plug on the Help racks at auto parts stores.  The O’Reilly website said they had them at my local store but the counter girl - excuse me - the counter person said not so.  A nearby Advance Auto and a farther away Autozone supposedly have them according to their websites.  I’d like to know the part was there before I drove there, but past experience tells me the response will probably be “I don’t think we got anything like that”.

Picked up a new plug at Autozone for $2.99.  Looks like I have a pinion seal leaking, so that’s my next project.  

It’s literally always something.  I believe this must be a form of mental illness because I enjoy it.

On 1/18/2018 at 7:45 PM, Keyav8r said:

Looks like I have a pinion seal leaking, so that’s my next project.

When you change the seal, think about replacing the craptacular stock strap pinion yoke with a stronger u-bolt pinion yoke. You'll probably snap a strap bolt off anyhow removing it.  :laugh:

31eDy6NbdQL.jpg

I had it apart once when I was working on the fuel,pump and sender and managed not to break anything.  However, I might not be so fortunate next time.  I may have to replace the pinion yoke when I do the seal if it is grooved and might as well upgrade.  Do you have a good supplier for the kit?

On 1/22/2018 at 11:11 AM, HOrnbrod said:

When you change the seal, think about replacing the craptacular stock strap pinion yoke with a stronger u-bolt pinion yoke. You'll probably snap a strap bolt off anyhow removing it.  :laugh:

31eDy6NbdQL.jpg

Is this a good candidate for a tech write up ?

youngfred

I would think of it more as a repair and an upgrade on the yoke.  But, far be it from me to discourage you from doing a tech topic on it 😇.

The tricky part of the change is properly re-torquing the pinion yoke nut without increasing preload on the pinion bearings.  I think someone has done a write-up on the process but, if not, it’s covered in the service manual (and probably on Youtube).