Sending Unit!

I have a question about my fuel pump sending unit.

I went to napa, autozone and advanced auto and all of them bring up the same thing for 87 Jeep Comanche, 4.0.

The thing is my sending unit has a long neck, so the fuel pump sits further in the tank. The one that I keep getting is too short. Any Ideas?

maybe my tank is from another truck? Heck I don't know!

any imput appreciated!

Egg

Are you refering to the float thats attached to the cage that holds the pump itself?

On my '89, there where two possible pumps offered. One smaller and shorter, the other longer and bigger around. Here is a picture:

CW

I still do not understand..... Your talking about a wire, right? Not a hose???

Are you talking about the wire going into the brown piece at the bottom, just right of center, of the picture I posted? This is the part that tells your gage how much fuel is in our tank. I guess you could call it a sender...

It may be only a factory part. As long as the voltage range is the same and the float was longenough to get adjusted properly...its likely that another makers unit would work...

CW

egghead - I'm following you, your looking for the complete fuel pump assembly, Correct??

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_ima ... e7091s.jpg

Like that??

What all of the parts store are trying to sell you is the assembly for the XJ that is for a short (shallow) rear fuel tank for the XJ, like the picture. I have not found a source for the complete sending unit, I guest the only source would be a JY, unless another menber had one laying around.

I just parted out a MJ, but I'm thinking of hanging on to the fuel tank and the sending unit for now, until I get some projects done.

If you need just the steel line that the pump feeds, like it broke, or rotted off, I would repair it with a new steel line, I done one last year, and it works. I don't think you'll ever find just the steel line.

egghead, i have one from an 86 it had a 2.5l so i think the pump won't make enough pressure for a 4.0l to run but the rest is probably the same. if you can take some measurements to see how long the pipe needs to be i'll check the one i have and see if it's the same. if it is make me an offer.

Image Not Found

i'll be around most of the next week so if it's what your needing stop on by.

mike.

Yep, I'm talking about the steel line on the top. It has a crack in it and is leaking and also allowing the fuel pressure to be low.

I do need one, so mike if you would be so kind as to check out and see how long it is. I think the parts store measure it to be around 8" (the wrong one) so if Its longer then I guess its the correct one.

Wild man, Thanks for your imput. How did you repaire the line? I don't see how you go it off?

Thanks you all for your imput!

Egg

egg, i measured the one i have and from the outside lip down & around the small bend and to the other lip where the small fuel line connects measures around 8", so this one is probably too short also. it came out of a large tank 20 something gallon, i don't know for sure the size, but i'm sure it's the larger one that jeep made for em. maybe the tank you have is some special order one that is deeper then a stock one????

i measured the tank i have and it's 35" long, 15" wide, 13" tall. i'm sure this is a factory one and hasn't been replaced with an aftermarket one. the 87 i have has the same size tank on it also.

I might have to go that direction, put a new tank in it. . . How much would you want for your spare tank.... or do you have a spare mike?

Also anyone know where I can find an NP231 Tcase or know where to get a cheap rebuild kit? My rear output seal when out on the tcase and screwed up the chain in it... i beleive. I put a new seal in but i found out today that it is leaking even worse!?

thanks

Egg

yea i have a spare one, it has a few minor surface rust spots but they can be hit with a wire brush and paint on a rust preventer and it'll be good as new. how does $50 sound, you can have the sending unit also but you'll need a 4.0 pump as this one has a 2.5 pump and i think it's not powerful enough to make the pressure the 4.0 needs. i'll be around the rest of the week during the afternoons and evenings, across from the turkey run golf course.

mike.