4.0L HO Header Fitment Issue

43 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

A flex joint in the downpipe is definitely planned.  I figured that would aid in compensating for any alignment issues.  Concerning the Mike Leach header, what's the flange thickness at the head?  I think you said it had no fitment issues with the older square-style intake manifold as well, right?

The flange thickness is just a red c... h... under 1/2", maybe 7/16". The washers needed no grinding. And yes, I had it on with the square exhaust manifold, then switched it to the horseshoe manifold a couple of years later. All-in-all it's been on there for 13+ years, no leaks ever.

The Mike Leach headers all have the Mopar Performance Pxxxxxxxx part number stamped on the first flange runner.

HeaderFlange.jpg.1b06aadf075baf98272d81856f118bb0.jpg

They look like this when new:

MikeLeachHeader.jpg.052af12666c4d88c91b536922d05e7c7.jpg

4 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

If price is not an issue, keep an eye out for a Mike Leach long tube header - they pop up on Ebay occasionally. These were retailed back in the day by Mopar Performance. I think John Jackson found one recently on Ebay. And whatever you get, be sure to incorporate a flex joint as close to the header collector as possible to prevent exhaust system cracks.  :thumbsup:

https://comancheclub.com/forums/topic/49000-prevent-exhaust-headermanifold-cracks-with-a-flex-joint/?tab=comments#comment-498637

aqwYHgI.jpg

Yes, found them on Phoenix Craigslist. Had to drive to Phoenix for them.  They are not for the Cherokee/Comanche.  Rather for the Wrangler (?), In that exhaust connection is to the front, rather than the rear. Also the flange at the front has a slight bend that shows up with a full straight edge.

If you want them, send me a P.M.

On 11/17/2017 at 6:33 PM, Jeep Driver said:

Banks or AFE...........yeah, expensive but worth it.

Seriously considering the Banks right now.  The only thing holding me back is a bunch of stuff I'm seeing online about them cracking.  But most of what I'm reading is 8-10 years old, and they seemed to change designs several times over the years.  Do you have any input on this?  Are the Banks headers being produced in 2017 different and more reliable?

18 hours ago, johnj92131 said:

If you want them, send me a P.M.

I'm tempted, and appreciate the offer, but I'll pass.  After thinking on it, I'm really not looking to fabricate a new downpipe for this, just want to add a flex joint into the one I have.  Curious as to what the solution is for the O2 sensor for this type of setup, though.

I have a banks torque tube, about 9 years old. definatley gave a little seat of the pants low end increase and makes the exhaust a bit deeper sounding. if you keep it on the same rig, you have their warranty too if by chance it does crack down the road. a long tube header would be worth looking into imo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk