Doing my AA SYE, problem...

So, I've been having fun for the last three days with this thing. First issue was the snap rings, apparently nobody here carriers snap ring pliers that can expand to more than about 1". After lots of cursing and driving to every auto, industrial, and mechanical store, I found a pair that were almost big enough. A few minutes with an angle grinder made them just large enough. That hurdle out of the way, I reassembled the case halves. Then I realized that I had to do up the oil pump tube first :oops: So, back apart it came. Then I saw in one of the tutorials for doing a SYE that if you were cleaver with a screwdriver you could do it up without dissasembly :cry: Did it back up, reassembled case halves. Now, it won't shift. Can't get the shift linkage bolted on even. Seems the shift fork is too far back and it won't go foreward enough to even be in 4lo properly. I tried turing the linkage connector at the front with a wrench, wouldn't go. Tried hammering it in where it protruded from the back of the case (was mad at this point). No go. Tried turning and hammering at the same time. Still no go.

So, I ask, before I disassemble again, can I fix this without opening it? I'd like to just avoid that. I think I'm gonna go bolt the axle in during the mean time... If I've just screwed up, and better open it - say so.

Shackle angle looks fine to me.

I think you're going to have to take the transfer case apart. It's just more RTV and you'll get more proficient each time to disassemble and reassemble.

Don't know how much you paid, but here's a heavy duty SYE for $169.99 shipped: http://tinyurl.com/cr2xh

I've installed several of them, and about 5 jeepers in our jeep club run them.

I don't even remember what I payed, it was in US and therefor I didn't even want to think about it. It would have been like $270 cnd or something. I don't think I'd be able to break this thing though, unless I set it up wrong. I'd say I'm happy with it even though I haven't got it in yet. Looks pretty much identical to that other one, other than the tailhousing is a wee bit different. Ohwell, can't send it back now, can I? That and shipping would kill the difference.

Yeah, I just asked in the feeble hope I could save some time, I had better go back and do it right.

I don't have a Sears, even though 95% of my tools are from them. It sucks, if I break them I gotta drive 1.5 hours to get to a sears dealer. But hey, I got most of my tools free from my uncle, so I can't complain.

I split the case, figured it out in like 2 minutes, gotta go seal the mother up again...

My rears aren't even... Think I need to get new shackles and replace the bushings at the rear of the leaves... Grrr.

After doing the spring over conversion I found out one side of the rear of my truck was almost 2 inches higher than the other. So I went to the effort of swapping the entire leaf packs, side to side. I remeasured and discovered that nothing had changed! Usually the drivers side sags more than the passengers due to the extra weight of the driver, but my truck is apparently just crooked. How off is yours?

Jeep on!

--Pete

Mine are at least two inches out... and it's the passanger's side that's higher. I think it'll settle after I get some weight on it and drive it around. It's probably because I mix'n'matched two sets of stock packs to make mine and I used the top leaf from one set on one side and the top from the other on the other side. The one pack might have been flattening, or something, as the shackle on it had a different rest angle. If it doesn't settle and I can't stand it, I'll do the bushings. Also, I think these things are built a little out of kilter because all the roads are sloped from drainage, and thus they are aligned weird to make up for that. I guess I could check the fsm dimensions and see what it says. Mine has also been in numerous accidents, so it might be a bit out from that too. Heck, I should just stop worring about it.

Oh, I just destroyed the vac disco plug for the tailshaft housing. Is it needed? I mean, I'm going to either swap to the one peice shafts or a cable system as the front vac lines aren't gonna reach. So, can I just plug the mother up and use the AA provided plug for the tailshaft housing and call it good? Maybe I should read into this.

I looked at some vac disco diagrams, and I think I can plug them without issue. These were dodge diagrams though, so I might crack out the fsm and see if I can find the diagrams for me.

I think I'll give this a try:

http://home.earthlink.net/~stevenschreiber/jeep/tech/cabledis.htm

If it breaks, I'll go to one peice. Besides, having random extra levers in your cab is cool.

Hmm, seems the AA kit didn't come with straps for the new yoke. I feel gypped. Maybe it's because it's 1:43am and I'm hopped up on redbull, and thus can't find them...