brake and dome lights problem.. Please help

hey, I just got a 1986 Comanche and the brake and dome lts do not work. I have checked the bulbs on the break lights and they are fine. the fuses are also fine. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how to fix the break lights?? The dome lights on the other hand do not work at all, and every time I put a fuse in the Fuse box for them, it blows. any help on these things would be appreciated greatly!!! Thanks so much.

Chris

Beachbum1236 - Welcome to the ComancheClub :waving:

First, the dome lights are junk, most just replace them with aftermarket lights, but do take them apart and make sure the wires/bulbs are not shorting out causing your fuse to blow. Also check the door jamb switchs to make sure there not shorting out, there is only a little piece of plastic that seprate the 2 wires. At worst, it could be the head light switch shorting out.

Brake lights, if you already changed the bulbs out, with 1157's or 2057's and there installed correctly, then check/replace the brake light switch on the pedel. Next check the rear connector, about 6" in from the bumper, drivers side, clean it and die-elect grease it.

The rear harness has some crimp connectors in the line, pull the harness out and redo the crimps, they corrode, and replace them with some B-caps filled with die-elect grease.

If you still have a problem, the rear harness starts from under the dash, under the drivers seat, thru the cab rear panel, and the wiring could be pinched/damaged, this harness also has the leads to the dome lights, consel light, seat belt, fuel pump and sending unit.

While you got it all apart, re-do the rear body ground, behind the left tail light.

And after all this, you will find the joy of working on a 20 year old Jeep :D

thank for the replys. I'll check the bulbs again to see if they are dual filament. The gas gauge does work, along with with the other gauges except for the lights for them. DO the dome lights include the lights for the dashboard?

thanks

Yes, thru the light switch, turn the knob, and the dash lights dim and get brighter, turn it all the way bright, and the dome lights turn on. It sounds like you got a bad light switch.

I forgot to ask if you have turn signals working, that would narrow it down to the brake pedel switch.

Yes, the turn signals are working, I replaced the thermal flicker thing for both the signals and the hazards. I tested the brake pedal switch and it seems to be working, (volt meter). The headlights seem to be working fine, but I have not tested the dash lights in the night yet to see if they light up. But as far as i can see, they do not work, and the flicker lights on the dash to not flick on anf off when the switch is engaged. I'll try and take the switches off tomorrow to make sure they're working.

Thanks

Chris

thermal flicker thing = Flasher unit

Did you replace them with regular grade, or heavy duty flasher??

If your turn signal indicators are not lighting up, that's telling you there is a problem / burned out bulb, front or back, that could be your problem with the wrong / incorrect install on the rear tail light. Thus the problem with no brake lights.

Another thing you might want to check is the rear sockets them self's they can go bad and cause problems too. A Ford socket is a replacement for the rear lights.

Your head light switch might be good for just the parking / headlight, but the resistor spring that controlls the dash lights and the dome's could be bad and shorting out.