2.8 to 3.4 flywheel

I'm getting ready to retire the 2.8 liter so called engine to a 3.4 and while doing my research some forums say to turn down your flywheel and neutral balance it or there's say to get a 88 or newer already neutral balanced flywheel. Anyone tried either one????

I've been reading up on the 3.4 swap for a long time, but haven't done it yet.

Most seem to get their old flywheel neutrally balanced, I thought there was something that made the 88 up a pain to find.

What is the setup?

I'm assuming 5speed, well because that what I have and I do have the part numbers for the swap save on the computer at home. I can look it up this afternoon. Though You may get your answer from someone who's done the swap first .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From my notes the flywheel (manual transmission) has to be balanced or off a 88-93 s10 2.8, supposedly Camaro flywheels are too thick. I can't find anything about 3.1 flywheels in my notes.

I know I save the part #s someplace but have t found that file yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't understand the question. Everyone who has done this swap has done one or the other. The Jeep 2.8L flywheel has a huge, eccentric weight on the flywheel. The 3.4L engines are internally balanced so they don't need that weight on the flywheel. If you bolt on an unmodified 2.8L flywheel, the engine will start and run but it'll shake and vibrate enough to make you think it's going to fall apart within five minutes. I haven't played with the 2.8L / 3.4L swap, but I encountered the same problem when I bought an AMC AMX that was originally a 390 and some previous owner had dropped a 343 into it.

Yes it is the same thing I read green mesa. almost all the research I came across said to use the same fly wheel and neutral balance the original and one said to use a 88 to 93 s10 flywheel. Because I can buy a new one cheaper than turning the old one down. But I do not want to make that mistake and have to rip the engine out again..

I will be doing the swap in the next couple weeks so I will tell u how it goes green mesa

• 1 month later...

Ok guys I answered my own question... I did the swap and was worth every penny.. I bought a new flywheel for a 89 s10 2.8 and no issues been on the road for 2weeks. FYI buying a new flywheel is cheaper than turning down the old one