V-8 in a mj?

couple points to think about...

Most small block V8's are not significantly heavier than the 4.0 they aren't. In fact all aluminum SBF 5.0 are lighter by something close to 100 pounds.

The main reason not to swap a V8 in is the fact that you then need to swap just about everything else that's attached to it...

Stroking the 4.0 doesn't have that problem and you end up with pretty similar power to a stock late model Ford or Chevy small block V8. Possibly more torque than either, and lower in the RPM range.

Of course you can build up the V8's with limitless aftermarket parts to make power where ever you want it... but that's a different discussion and added expense.

This topic comes up all the time, and it seems like everyone has the same advice me included... If you want good bolt in power for cheap using the stock driveline, then a stroker is the hands down winner if we're talking fresh engines. The cost of a rebuild, a 258 crank, and a set of pistons.

If you want 300 HP+ then start looking for a V8, transmission, T-case, custom drive shaft, complete wiring harness, radiator, conversion motor mounts, and probably an axle upgrade.

A V8 takes some work to do but it is worth it. Mostly when someone says whatcha got in there a V6 and you say, no it's a 350. Just get the whole donor vehicle. Mine was a 1984 Chevy full size van.

Well, that's a cummins... Sure it's a 4BT, not a 3.3?

Either way that's pretty sweet. I didn't think anybody had dropped the cash/time to do it.

I've seen enough 4BT's and 3.3's that I'd know the difference.

4BT all the way.

My buddy also has a 6BT he's been debating about what to put it in...

You could put it in a full size Jeep pickup (I'm about to part out my '73 J4000 because I rolled it and ruined the cab)

The 304 that was in it MAY go into an '85 XJ 2dr shell I have (can't get title because the previous owner owes $$$ for back child support), but I need to sell something to make space for it or I'll have to scrap the body (I wanted to cut it off at the B pillar and weld it to a Comanche to get a supercab) I also have a 727/NP208J. The rad from the '73 J4000 was ruined, but it could be used as a model for a replacement rad. (I also have a rad from a 4.0L '93 Grand Cherokee)

Anyone interested in maybe buying that pile of parts and offroad project or the '86 Comanche that the 4 cyl from the '85 XJ is going into, let me know. (It's near Reiter Trails, which is close to Seattle, WA)

As for weight, if you toss the cast iron battleship intake for an aluminum one, that lightens the V8 by about 50 lbs.