D44 build

Well, I'm finally getting around to getting the D44 under the MJ. Drug it out of the backyard yesterday and started stripping it down. When I'm done and ready to install, it'll have new 4.56's with Powertrax (got the gears, carrier and locker are en route), new axle bearings/seals, brake lines, and complete brake assemblies. I might go SOA, just haven't made up my mind quite yet.

Here's what I'm starting with....an old MJ D44, 3.07 (open):

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

To be continued....

Jeff

Nice find. If you go spring over with a D44 you will have approx 6" of lift. That gets you into some more expense to have a matching lift in the front and set up the rest of the drivetrain.

Unless you are looking to go all out on the truck I would leave it Spring under. SOA are nice if you are going to build it all up, cheap way to get some nice lift in the back keeping stock springs. Guess it depends on what your plans are.

Nice jamminz.gif Just bring it on down, or I will give you Chad's number and you can bring it right to him :wrench:

I think IF I mean when Jeff decides to go SOA, I can find enough junk in my garage to get him 6+ up front :evil: I think he should go right to 35's and break out the sawzall and plasma cutter and clear them with 3" of lift :nuts:

Spent the better part of Saturday morning showing the axle some love. I gutted it….

Image Not Found

And used some rags on a piece of all-thread held with a couple nuts and fender washers to clean the inside of the axletubes:

Image Not Found

Then cleaned the housing with a bunch of brake cleaner and compressed air:

Image Not Found

Here’s a shot of the ring and pinion tooth count stamped in the ring gear. All dana axles are stamped like this, so you can figure out the ratio if the tag is missing:

Image Not Found

Then I broke out the angle grinder….used a cup brush and a nifty 3M abrasive pad to strip the tubes and housing. Had to use a wire brush in some spots:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Cleaned the whole thing down with brake cleaner and air, let it dry, then shot it with primer:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Put a finish coat on the cover, too. That’s the way it’s gonna stay for now, until I get it regeared, then I’ll put a gloss finish coat on the whole thing.

Jeff

The big brown truck paid me a visit today after work……got my carrier and Powertrax :D

Image Not Found

I’ll add it to the 4.56’s….

Image Not Found

And toss on the new brake assemblies….

Image Not Found

I’m a happy boy!

Jeff

looks great man!..

i told someone here locally that i was gonna regear my front 44 he said that was a bad idea bc the shims go on then the bearings??? i think he just doesnt know what hes talkin about bc the bearings go on the carrier.. then you put shims in on the housing side of the 44 right?

No the shims go next to the carrier then the bearings... No biggie... If you have a bearing seperator and a Press, press you old bearing off, and with a rotoary file clearance the inside so they wil slide on and off, figure out the shims, then when you press the new bearings on all is good.. OR you could spend a few extra buclks a buy a set of setup bearings which all has this done

• 1 month later...

Spent the weekend working on the axle. Picked it up from the shop Saturday afternoon :D One of the locking collars on the axleshaft snapped while pressing it on, and thankfully Jerry had a press to use to install a new one. Got it on, got the shafts in along with the new brakes, and threw a couple coats of gloss on it. Hopefully I can finish it up next weekend, then get it hung under the MJ. I still need to run new brakelines, install new perches, and get new U bolts.

Ooooops!

Image Not Found

4.56’s with Powertrax, installed

Image Not Found

Painted

Image Not Found

I got them off a guy on here awhile ago, and I won't tell ya how much I paid for them....but ummmm...it wasn't anywhere close to that :D Let's just say I'm a savvy shopper.

I've got the old backing plates, which are fairly rusty but could be cleaned up and painted. If you or anyone else needs them, I'll let 'em go for the cost of shipping.

Jeff

My backing plates were rusted straight though. I had to get new ones. I tried to get some off of ebay, but it turned out they were for a Grand Wagoneer...and wouldnt fit the MJ D44. I said screw it, and went to the dealer. This was last summer...so I'm all set for parts now. Thanks.

Got my sexy new Mopar hi-performance perches via UPS yesterday. Ordered them online from JEGS……$12.99 and they were on my doorstep in 2 days jamminz.gif Hopefully Pat and I can get them welded on to the tubes this weekend ;)

Jeff

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

aren't you supposed to weld before you paint :D

anyway its a very nice looking axle. you should just add some tj coil buckets and a rear trackbar mount to it instead and i will be on my way to pick it up shortly :brows:

'tis only rattlecan, I'll grind it off around the perch area for welding, then respray it all, including the perches :brows: .

I just needed to get some covering on the housing after I cleaned it all up to bare metal.

And no......I ain't putting coil buckets on it anytime soon :D

Had a great weekend, and just about have the axle ready to go in. Took it down to Pat’s on Saturday, drank lots of beer :D and he welded the new perches on for me :bowdown: . We also disemboweled one of his parts vehicles with a cutting torch…..fun stuff :brows: . Sunday I installed the Dakota combo vent line/distribution block and rear brake hose. I plugged the stock hole for the Jeep block and drilled/tapped the vent hole to accept the 7/16x20 Dakota part. If anyone does this, you’ll need a 25/64” drill bit to enlarge the hole to tap it. I also shortened the center bolt that threads into the tube a bit, so it was a tad further away from the axleshaft. I tried bending new brakelines to the wheel cylinders and remembered why I don’t do that very often (I pretty much suck at it…..), so I swung by the ‘yard and pulled some nice new lines off a late model XJ with an 8.25. Just had to tweak them a bit and they bolted right in.

All that’s left is to figure out some shock mounts, and pick up new U bolts (leaving work early today to get a new set bent up).

Jeff

Dakota line/distribution block and vent:

Image Not Found

Drilled and tapped, with rubber impregnated washer:

Image Not Found

Shortened vent:

Image Not Found

View from inside the tube:

Image Not Found

Installed:

Image Not Found

Perches welded on (thanks Pat!):

Image Not Found

Brakelines run:

Image Not Found

Looks great.. we could have drilled and tapped that while you were here ;) He was right we drank lots of beer image_209027.gif

The best was watching a old Ford flex.. or the lack there of.

When you get the u-bolts and junk... you need to come on down so we can install the lift, modify the back bumper(put rock rails back), and complete its transition to the dark side

By the way thanks for the beer :D