Manual window regulator repair

I wish I had thought to take pictures but it was raining intermittently and I was in a hurry.

My truck sat up for several years and the window seals rotted and let water get trapped in the rubber protective hose at the end. It had rusted just enough that the spiral that the gear catches no longer worked. After months of looking I gave up and took a hard long look at how it works. I only recommend this if you cannot find a new or good used replacement.

At the bottom of the track just below T connector is you will note the track is crushed into a stop. Open that up so the cable can come through. You may have to fight the cable to get it out but it will come out. You may have to use some rust remover to get it moving past the bad area.

Once you get the cable out you will need to spend the time to get most if not all the rust off. DO NOT DESTROY the spiral cable.

Once your done measure how far up the cable the T connector is. 

You will need some pliers to hold the cable. Carefully screw the T off the end of the cable.

Now you can screw on that part to the other end. Be careful, Take your time and get the T on the cable to the distance it was on the other end.

I don't know for sure but this will likely work on power windows with this cable system.

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, Warren Mohler said:

I took the cable out of a used power regulator from my 99 xj and just bolted it to my manual reg. works fine was about six inches longer just cut off

any pics?