Axle and Ubolt pics.

could it be that someone just used the wrong u bolts at one point in time? and that they aren't 3" tubes as this is not a documented measurement..

They could even be the right u-bolts and they're just splayed out a bit. They're not exactly a dimensionally critical part and its common for then to only be close.

I assumed he had measured the tubes with a caliper or squares.

...that's what one would assume.... but you know what they say about that. :yes:      all his pictures are specifically measuring u bolt widths not tubes. which is why I stated a circumference measurement would be better.   I do agree with the worn and spread theory also.

Ok, not arguing over this crap anymore. Here's your damn mic pics. All i asked was a simple question of "IF" there was a bigger than 2.75" D44. YES, yes there was. c958346157a672694f3744db37601873.jpgbf34609d69c75a39ae6115721c14da78.jpg

here's some more info I've found as well. 197aeecbd7afe7b3472933f2bf0104fb.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Now GM had a D44 rear axle as well. Might be that someone swapped it over?

Not likely.  Most of them aren't the same in critical aspects, being width and lug pattern.  Car applications are also unlikely.

Couple things to possibly note... you measured right at the differential. these axle tubes are pressed into the differential housings. This can produce forces that can compress/expand the metal at/near the stress point ,even ever so minutely, but can gain a "thicker" reading here as apposed to center length.

You also note its fairly rusty, and likely has 20+ years of paint overcoat. All adding to the overall width of the tube. To read a 2.75 tube after 20 years of outdoor use and abuse, I wouldn't be suprosed in a .17" gain

I just went and measured my XJ one. Definitely 2.75" - really curious what the story is on yours, but like you say it's in and works, so it doesn't much matter now.

Was just curious myself as well. Didn't think the "purist police" would throw so much hate at it.