front driveshaft lengthen

i have the axle side of the 44 driveshaft and the transfercase side of my mj drive shaft...since iam doing a front leaf conversion i may have to lengthen it its not a on road truck ..offroad only... so if i just do it myself..without balancing it... would that be bad?

As long as you use good straight D.O.M. or CDS tubing, you should not have a problem. We did that on our CJ-7 and have been running it for about 5 years. Just make sure that you get the yokes welded on straight and in phase with each other.

Xtreme 4x4 did some square tubing with a yoke on one end, the other with nothing. the other part of the shaft's OD was the same as the first shaft's ID, and coated liberally with some synthetic grease. essentially, about 1.5ft of the "slip spline". I think it was on the old cj-7 beater jeep project they had. Also, I think the thicknesses of the tubing were about 1/4" or more, so it was a fairly sturdy set up on the cheap.

If you have locking hubs, making your own d/s is perfectly acceptable. it is also acceptable on a rig that won't see over 20MPH, anything else I would have one made. If you are doing a shackle reversal on the front you will need a longer slip spline.. due to the added flex.

I wish I had the clearance to use 1.5x.250 tubing for a front shaft... as is I am going to have to grind on the side of my Tranny to clear a custom shaft :eek: