Renix to HO harness and engine swap.

Got a few questions on what's going to work best here...

I have a complete '96 XJ (4.0L AW4) donor with brand new Jasper crate engine (less than 900 miles on it).  It was in a head on collision, so the unibody is toast.  Harnesses seem to be just fine, I even got it started and running to verify.

I have my '86 MJ (4.0L AX15).  I'm sticking with the 5-speed, so I know to bypass the NSS.

So, my questions are as follows:

First, fuel system.  Can I run the pre-96 style fuel system in conjunction with the '96 harness and PCM without trouble.  By that I mean, for those that don't know, '96 is the first year to go to the pressure regulator inside of the tank, as opposed to on the fuel rail.  I have an MJ HO sender handy, so I suspect I could use that, but I want verification.

Secondly, is it possible to use the GM style steering column with the ChryCo ignition system?  I don't care about airbags, and besides, the steering wheel and air bag in my donor is of no worth due to the collision.  Also, I want to retain my factory AMC branded Jeep keys.

Thirdly, would I be able to use the older HVAC box and controls with the newer harness?  The XJ's HVAC box is busted beyond repair.  I want to have heat and A/C if possible.

Also, to tie into that, can I use the older style A/C compressor (the one that has the bolts mount through the front, not the top)?  The compressor is brand new and the freon lines look like they'll screw right on.

Fourthly, being that the donor harness is from an automatic and the MJ it's going in is a 5-speed, is there concern there for issues, besides bypassing the NSS?  I know cruise control won't work, but I shouldn't have an CEL's since the AW4 has it's own controller computer in '96, correct?

Lastly (for now), can I swap the electronic speedometer for the cable driven one?  I'd like to retain the original mileage of ~82k.

I'll give it a shot:

First, fuel system.  Can I run the pre-96 style fuel system in conjunction with the '96 harness and PCM without trouble.  By that I mean, for those that don't know, '96 is the first year to go to the pressure regulator inside of the tank, as opposed to on the fuel rail.  I have an MJ HO sender handy, so I suspect I could use that, but I want verification.

I see no reason at all why you couldn't use the fuel rail supply and return from a 91-95 HO with a fixed 39psi-49psi regulator (or a Hesco adjustable FPR) along with your HO sender to power up your 96 injectors. I've read a few threads over on NAXJA when the in-tank regulators died in 96-99 XJs and instead of changing it out guys just swapped in the earlier fuel rails with a 30/49 FPR. It's done all the time with strokers and the 39/49 injectors are the ones I'm using in mine. Plus you will have the correct polarity for the 96 cluster electronic fuel gauge.

Secondly, is it possible to use the GM style steering column with the ChryCo ignition system?  I don't care about airbags, and besides, the steering wheel and air bag in my donor is of no worth due to the collision.  Also, I want to retain my factory AMC branded Jeep keys.

96 and up used Mopar bagged steering columns while the 95 and below pre-airbag models used Saginaw columns. But they both used the same steering gear boxes and pumps, so swapping in the older column should work just fine. The 96 ECU would show a airbag fault code though unless there's a way to fake a signal to the ECU.

Thirdly, would I be able to use the older HVAC box and controls with the newer harness?  The XJ's HVAC box is busted beyond repair.  I want to have heat and A/C if possible.  :dunno:

Also, to tie into that, can I use the older style A/C compressor (the one that has the bolts mount through the front, not the top)?  The compressor is brand new and the freon lines look like they'll screw right on.

The 91-96 A/C compressors are the same Sanden series and can be clocked for multiple mouting positions for the lines. So I don't think that will be a problem. 

Fourthly, being that the donor harness is from an automatic and the MJ it's going in is a 5-speed, is there concern there for issues, besides bypassing the NSS?  I know cruise control won't work, but I shouldn't have an CEL's since the AW4 has it's own controller computer in '96, correct?

Sounds all correct to me.....

Thank you, Don.  That's kind of what I was thinking as well. 

To clarify on the steering column portion, would I have to re-wire the ignition switch and multi-function stick or make a custom harness to adapt, or is it all plug and play?  I haven't had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison or pull schematics.