Comanche comes into work today.....

jeepmj_tj

We had a comanche come into work today to fix an ignition swtich problem. So of course i wasted some time out in the shop giving her the look over. It was an 88 or 89 metric ton Pioneer 4.0L column shift auto, bench, 4x4, D44 in back, had an warn 8274 up front. everything else stock.

It was some guys work truck. once our mechanic fixed the switch it ran like a top. Kinda neat to have a comanche come in and it be a Rare one with all the goodies....

just thought i was share.

Column shift sounds very rare, I've only seen that in Police Package XJ's.

Not really rare in Comanches, and it was available on all 'fleet' Cherokees. My 85 came from a city building inspector and had a column shift, with a 4-cyl. I am not for sure, but I believe one of the reasons for the column shifts in MJ's is the shape of the trans tunnel. The MJ tunnel is narrower and taller than the Cherokee, making the bracket and cable adapter to the column shift eaiser to use than trying to mount the bracket and shift lever like a Cherokee.

PS, here is a column shift I found on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-Jeep-Comanche-4x4-4-0L-automatic-with-AC-Commanche_W0QQitemZ4613041187QQcategoryZ6286QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Damn, 2 on E-bay right now, both within 6 hours of home. Empty project budget, and full storage, not fun.