Manchekid86's Newest light duty 4x4 rig, no longer 2wd

picked up a straiiiight Comanche today,

it used to have nice burgundy paint on it but recently got spray bombed

plans are still undecided,

either a glorified straight 4x4,

or part swaped and a beat me up 4x4

I don't need any help deciding, even if I swap parts, it makes one truck new again,

I have enough paint to do one whole rig!

plans to be done regardless

box bob

4wd conversion

specs

1987 2wd 4.0L 5 speed-no reverse (will get ax15 swap)

2" lift? (at max) (lift is only in front, stock leafs in rear)

Dana turdy-5

115.7XX km on odometer (71 900 Miles)

35" kumho venture mt

here is the only photo I have of it at this moment (cars not mine, reverse went so he put it back on the road for the winter  :rotf:  )

runs and drives but needs a trans with 4wd, reverse and exhaust

i normally save all my photos up and post updates typically semi annually

but with this new truck, and since I'm  laid off at the moment with nothing better to do here's a quick one

this thing is too nice to tear apart, ill keep it as is

4wd swap is in the works

picked up today for $50

AX-15 (stuck in third)

external bell housing

spare clutch and flywheel 

two x member mounts and x member

plans for the next few days,

swap tail housings off of this ax15, and then transfer it on to my spare ax15 (its tail housing is cracked, but other wise in serviceable condition) to make one functional transmission

dig out the front and rear driveshafts from my white comanche (lwb as well) along with a spare pre bled master slave cyl assy to toss in

finish the np231 (rebuilt, just needs rear oil slinger)

this weekend i will get my hp30 housing brought up and start building that!

only thing I'm missing to complete my 4wd swap is the shift lever assembly to change from hi/lo and the linkage that follows with it

not bad, 4wd conversion done on $50 of newly acquired parts at this point

more to come

. :MJ 1: .

found a photo of this rig from a few months ago ( I may have photographic evidence of all comanches encountered)

• 2 months later...

ended up going out of town for work for a while, during which i had this truck stored away

finally drug it out on Saturday night and started the 4wd conversion today.

ended up picking up a hp d30 with 3.07 gears complete end to end for $50, (i know those are horrible gears but they match the rear of my truck for now) anoter ax15, internal slave complete end to end with master slave assy still attached along with the np231 tcase and all  the linkages plus xmember for $190 not bad i think.

tore out the 2wd ba10/5 with blown reverse gear and tossed in the 4wd ax-15

[[[

will swap the front axle shortly and run new exhaust since it has none at this point, also will toss the aals in and then get my drive shaft shortened! can't wait till i can test it out

will flip the grill oneday too

35" tires with hardly any lift.  Surprised there isn't a big slice in the middle of those treads lol.  35's on 3.07 gears too.  Let me know how that feels lol.  3.07's on 235/75-15 tires is underwhelming, I can't even imagine what it's like with those tires on there.

two days after my last post i went back and bled the brakes topped the fluids up,

installed the front drive shaft and drove it back home.

shortly after, i installed exhaust (which turns out i was sold a swb tail pipe, which i bought almost two years ago so no chance on exchange)

I then installed the 3 1/2 aal's in the rear of the MJ

now its no longer scrubbing the rear end

on the maiden voyage of the 4wd swap home,

it was apparent that the front drive shaft needed to be gone through the centering ball is making good noises

so that is out and getting a different one thrown in

linkages need to be installed still

the truck has a failed tappet i have to address, so it seems ill be tearing the head off ( i don't want to pull the cam and the engine needs a top end reseal anyways)

will update with more progress as it comes

• 2 weeks later...

bump to the top with another update!

I'm liking this truck! it has that stock feel, and looks badass

dug into my engine and found a stripped bolt on a rocker arm, it seems like it came loose and the fulcrum where the rocker arm pivots wore the upper shank of the bolt down

lifter tick got way better after i put new parts in, still there though

here's a perspective photo of my two rigs

one is on 37's and 10" lft (which measure out to be 36's, thanks super swamper) and the other is on 35's 3" lift, the rig on 37's is usually on 40's so its tiny atm

took the truck in to use my friends shop, the stethoscope to be exact

some poser shots with another flat black truck!

now to the fun, first time out using the 4wd system that was not native to this truck

aaaaand then my second wheeling trip, realized i was not driving my rock crawler, and my tires suuuuuuuuck big time even at 8 lb's of air

surprisingly zero body damage from the tree,

i pulled the mirror off just in case, and when it finally rested on the tree i waited for the recovery vehicle to winch me away and back on to the trail.

more to come! in need of a front locker in this thing, which luckily only takes 1 hour to install and be fully reassembled

That rear bumper looks waaaay too nice to be on the trails...

black hides a bunch, p/o tagged both sides of it with a reciever hitch, and caved the right side in.

this truck won't see much trail, just when my kralwer is torn apart, not too worried

• 1 month later...
I figured i'd add some more photo's to this thread.

life has been keeping me pretty busy recently, my work transferred me to a different base for my permanent location.

i'm still getting settled in, for the time being my little truck is my only rig out here.

just waiting till i can bring my crawler up and stuff it in my new shop

first photo i recovered some local girl off "tinder" hahaha, she plowed into the bank and left her car up there over night

the last three photos are where i parked my truck for a lunch break, after my clutch line blew up and set on fire.

at that point i was in the middle of a drainage nearing the top of a mountain

i decided it was best if i turned around and parked her until my new clutch line shows up from advanced adapters

rev matched like a boss down the mountain and all the way back up  the mountain to my place. she now sits in the underground parking waiting for some attention

• 3 weeks later...

here's another mini update!

clutch line came in from advanced adapters, i had to go and buy a 1/4' male double flare fitting and i was off to the races.

since this jeep is running a 93 xj master to slave assy i had to go with this line, mainly needed the fitting that goes into the master cyl

punch the roll pin out, pull old line off, use quality pick to remove packing (o-ring) and transfer onto new fitting (as for AA instructions. would have appreciated if they sent a new packing, since this one is only 23 years old)

and install in reverse order!

at this point i installed the assembly to the firewall, and tightened the AN-3 braided line to the master cyl

i had a heck of a time putting a double flare onto the slave cyl line. it was work hardened and had little to no room for error, or space to work the tools in.

i managed to get it to a usable state and is holding pressure

i obviously put the grommet back in its spot, this is a good aspect shot of what space i had to work with, using full sized flaring set

once installed, i then self bled the clutch (suuuuper simple, i self bleed my brakes too, and they work better than when doing the two person method, due to factoring out any error from 2nd person.)

this is a quick shot of my two reverse sensors being spliced together, hind sight i should have de pinned it and swapped connectors.

these are enviro-splices, heat shrinkable butt connector

my clutch line that tried to burn the truck down, ( this assembly had seen 330XXX km before i had gotten ahold of it, it also lived coated in oil before aswell, its amazing how oil degrades things)

and yes, that fluid in the bottle, is the fluid that came out of my slave cyl assembly

then ofcourse, i was itching to get back out into the bush, have more photos, but i broke my other phone,

i reattempted the drive up to the top of the mountain drainage to get to gorman lake

and this is where i stopped, avalanche across the road. if only i had my other truck..... i would have crossed it (my open diff's wouldnt let me gain traction whilst climbing the bank, plus i was by myself. no service) time to turn around.

thats all for now, more pics when i get my other phone's screen replaced, hoping to get my rock crawler to my shop. then the fun begins and this truck can take a rest from back roading

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So one of my coworkers just told me he found me a friend. Sent me this:

qO6v7tq.jpg

Small world, haha.

thats awesome! i usually have one of two trucks tucked away at work some where!

here's some more photos, only real mechanical thing to happen is a blown rad, so i converted it to an open system.

just rolled 120,000 km. (75,000 Miles)

wanting to keep it somewhat stock, but at the same time its a clean base to start from, body armor fits easier that way haha

• 1 year later...

trucks still alive, just rolled 128000 KM (79.5K Miles)

almost two years ago i thought i blew the engine, so i bought a RHD twin turbo surbaru legacy gt to get me back to town and work the next day and i had it towed back to my work where it sat till i moved it to a shop i  was renting.

ski accident happened and i moved to a different part of  the province in order to get the medical help needed.
finally went to pick all my jeep stuff up (this was last fall) drove the truck back with a dead cylinder some 450+ km through the mountains,

when i got it home i found it sliped a push rod?? (it does have some nasty lifter tick when the oil gets thin)
put it back in place and properly torqued the pivot fulcrum and its been running like a top ever since

been slowly making this BASE  2WD model more factory equiped

it didnt even have  bulbs in the pillars

i did the 4wd conversion 3 years ago 

more recently

installed the entire lighting package, foot wells and pillars with LED's 
installed drivers and passenger vanity mirrors
installed factory cargo light

installed factory 4wd shift bezel plate and illumination harness
made a 4wd dash harness for the transfer case, i just need to remove the gauge cluster, nstall the bulbs in the annunciation panel and change the  annunciation card itself to a 4wd model (which i have obtained from a comanche we bought and stripped)
acquired the drivers drip rail!
a spare comanche mini consol
installed factory 2.5L comanche overflow reservoir
have spare comance washer fluid reservoir

i need to install the new to me factory ebrake mechanism and ebrake cable to achieve a ebrake again

also need to install the factory comanche D44 and metric ton leaf springs i found in the woods (not even kidding.....) 

i do have new front fenders for when i put some more lift in it

i have also replaced my master clutch cyl
heater core
alternator
water pump and thermostat and coolant hoses (the bolts were so rotten on the water pump they let go, and i had to extract them from the block)
spark plugs cap and rotor

map sensor

fuel injectors
more pics sometime down the road !

FYI i know my grills upside down. goblazers6 said it the best. i like the look, looks a bit meaner that way

and it drives everyone else mad ofcourse hahaha

20181104_151701.jpg

20181106_095509.jpg

20181106_112612.jpg

20181117_121834.jpg

20181128_131600.jpg

20181128_131702.jpg

20181128_164526.jpg

20181128_164545.jpg

20181130_194456.jpg

20181201_144950.jpg

20181201_154048.jpg