Aftermarket Front Bumper

Okay, the XJ aftermarket bumper I thought I had didn't pan out, so I'm back in the hunt.

One option I'm considering is the Nate's 4x4 XJ Recessed Winch Bumper, shown here: http://www.nates4x4.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=68

(1984-96 version slightly different than image shown) with a 2" receiver and light tabs. I'll add a winch later on.

Anyone have any experience with Nate's? Does it tie into the frame enough to use for recovery? The price seems good, but that never comes without a cost in my experience.

Any other options to consider? I don't want to go higher than $500 unless I'm convinced it's necessary. I've looked at the ARB and the RigidCo, but not any others.

Anyone on the list ever try fabbing a few bumpers to amortize the costs?

I'm also considering this bumper, it says it has the stearing box tie in bolts for added contact points.

the only thing that i would want is to have the side protection on it like with his regular winch bumper.

i found a guy on jeepforum that had this bumper on his xj, he sent me some pics:

i would love it if it had the side protection like his other one:

newxjwinch1.jpg

I'm sure you have looked at JCR's bumper, very nice, a little expensive.

the other one i was looking at was this one:

http://ajsoffroadarmor.com/Front%20Bump ... mpers.html

realy nice looking.

hope this helps.

Jonathan

Thanks for the input. I liked the looks of the RigidCO, but it's a fair bit pricier than Nate's, and I want to have a radiator guard/light bar, which is included in Nate's and doesn't appear available on the RigidCO.

Nate's apparently responded to some concerns about the strength of their mounting system, and include the extended mount with the Recessed Winch bumper.

I just looked at the JCR.... there bumpers are simple as well. the mounting system is cheesy as well. the "unibody tie in "plates have become standar on any of the better bumpers...

All I am going to say is look at how well thought out RigidCo. bumper mounting system is. Terry is a helluva nice guy too. As for the light hoop... if you contact him he will add one for a small fee

I just looked at the JCR.... there bumpers are simple as well. the mounting system is cheesy as well. the "unibody tie in "plates have become standar on any of the better bumpers...

the uni body plates are standard with all the winch bumpers.

To say that it's cheesy isn't fair. How many mall crawlers out there have aftermarket bumpers with no tie in plates. They're just building what people want.

That said,

the designs are simple, box bumpers. I like my JCR, it all bolted up with no issues, and all the holes were spot on.

They're relatively cheap, simple and strong.

I have a rear bumper from AJ's

I have a front bumper from JCR

BOB

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/mer ... y_Code=XJB

How do you like them? Have you compared the JCR bumper to the Nate's? Look's like for a comparable design front bumper, JCR is about 2X the cost of Nate's.

The JCR bumpers are solid. great welds.

I don't kmow anything about Rigid bumpers.

Nates, I had problems with communication with them

when I bought a diff protector from them. great diff protector,

poor communication.

Brian has been great to deal with.

I am installing their upgraded steering system this Saturday

on my Cherokee.

BOB

For the style of bumper you're looking for I'll add another thumbs up for Rigid. Like pong said, excellent mounting system, documentation, hardware customer service were all top notch. Unfortunately his website is a little lacking, the bumpers he's been making for the past few years look alot better than the prototype on his webpage. If you're looking for a more stock look I'd also highly recommend Detours, super high quality work and service as well.

Here's my Rigid FBW with light bar:

MJ_Flex001.jpg

Thanks to you all for the great comments. Gives me a lot of things to consider, and I'm in no desperate hurry, so I have a chance to do it right.

For those who have gotten winch mount bumpers, do you think that adding a 2" receiver as well would be overkill?

If you have a winch with tow points there is no need to have a reciever as well.

I suppose you're right, it is overkill. But if there was a reason, better to include it now than regret it later.

I was just thinking that there might be a time when I would want to maneuver a trailer. We were doing that a lot at this year's Baja500, and the front mount receiver really came in handy.