Prevent Exhaust Header/Manifold Cracks With a Flex Joint

Thanks to daking for pointing out this very effective mod in his Dec 2015 MJOTM writeup. :thumbsup: So effective I did it myself and thought it belonged in the DIY forum. Exhaust manifold and header cracking due to engine vibration is a common occurrence with Jeep 4.0 engines. Mopar finally came out with a TSB incorporating flex joints in the stock exhaust manifolds and elsewhere in the exhaust system for certain models (after they made a fortune selling new manifolds), but that didn't help those with aftermarket performance exhaust headers. Great insurance to prevent this stress cracking is the installation of a 2.5" x 4"-6" flex joint that absorbs engine vibes that cause cracks in exhaust system components over time. Simple to do, inexpensive, and very worthwhile.

I installed mine after the header collector elbow where the pipe crosses over under the engine. The closer to the header collector/ manifold you can get it the better.

aqwYHgI.jpg

I did this years ago after going through three manifold in a matter of months. Haven't had manifold issues again. You can see the flex joint at the bottom of photo.

Do you have enough room to pull the tranny pan with the exhaust running like that?