I think this AW4 is screwed.

DirtyComanche

Yeah, they're tough. I've run the one in my XJ through a couple scenarios that would have killed any other auto. But I got the pan off this one and had that crap running all over my bench and just said 'I'm not dealing with this'.

I think my cherokee is going to get parted out instead. So I'll use the AW4 out of it. Now I'm going to have WAY more random parts than I even want to look at.

Front shafts are something I always need. I use them to make both my front and rear shafts. Neither of which seem to last a long time.

However, 90% of a stock XJ is useless to me. I'll pull the motor, trans, tcase... And probably take the head from the motor and try to sell the rest of it. And try to sell the tcase (242, yeah right). All the interior is worth nothing to me. I don't even need any more doors. The front and rear axles are crap. I guess I can use the steering box, but the pump is dying anyways.... Not much worth taking in the end, it seems.

Front shafts are something I always need. I use them to make both my front and rear shafts. Neither of which seem to last a long time.

haha good deal, idk if i really wanna swap to auto anyways rigth now I'm leaning towards not doin it... but i have an AW4 with 231 still attached in storage

If ya remember, I put a new tranny in a 1995 2 door cherokee a while back. well, it's making grinding/whumping noises from the bellhousing now. the torque converter could be lose or the flexplate broke, but I'm leaning towards shoddy tranny :(

Yeah you never know about that stuff when it comes from a J-yard.

Yeah, it's always a risk. This one looks more likely to be servicable than the last. I had him pull the record on the jeep it came from and it was a side impact. So assumably it was running/driving when it got totalled.