TJ diff in a Comanche

it will bolt in but its low pinion

Assuming your speaking about the front D30 ...This is correct.

The rear of a TJ is a coils and would require much more work to get it to work with the comanche's leaf spring suspention.

CW

swapping from a high-pinion to a low-pinion is actually a downgrade in strength (or so I've always heard, never actually seen any numbers on that), but it also increases the angle on your front axle u-joint, making it wear faster and possibly more prone to breaking or binding due to extreme angles during flex. I'd say just swap out the shafts-the TJ's have the larger u-joints which are stronger and stand up better to big tires and wheeling.

Just a little education on D30 axles:

The lo pinion is a slightly weaker axle. Weaker mostly for two reasons.

1) The LO-pinion utalizes a "crush sleeve" for the pinion setup. Its weaker and suseptable to damage from rocks.

2) The LO-Pinion also runs off the "weak" side of the ring gear. Where the HI-Pinion runs on the stronger side.

The HI-Pinion offers, more yoke and DS clearance and less DS angle. This is good for rigs with mucho lift. Trouble with alot of lift. the D30 isn't great with really big tires that come with large lifts. I would say moderate hard core duty, with a driver that picks his lines and follows the "Slow as you can, Fast as you have to" rule. You can run 35's.

The fact that the TJ/ZJ and late XJ's pinions are lower is of little consiquence. I mean look at 2001 + cherokee's, ALL TJ's, ALL ZJ's. They where ALL lo pinion. People lift them and don't have problems.

Swapping to a one piece shaft is problematic as there is a seal thats needed and NOT ALL axles have provision for this seal. Just swapping to one piece shafts is NOT a option.

Whats your reasoning for wanting this?

CW

It does offer a bonus, more clearance and less DS angle on lifted rigs.

Umm? You are talking a LP axle? Explain...

Sorry, wrote that a bit too quickly. :oops: I should have started that with, The HI-Pinion offers....

I clarified it a bit: ;)

The HI-Pinion offers, more yoke and DS clearance and less DS angle. This is good for rigs with mucho lift. Trouble with alot of lift. the D30 isn't great with really big tires that come with large lifts. I would say moderate hard core duty, with a driver that picks his lines and follows the "Slow as you can, Fast as you have to" rule. You can run 35's.